Foosball.com Forums

blocking the pull

blocking the pull
« on: October 05, 2005, 02:04:30 PM »
What's up everyone. . . 1st post.
Neighbor bought a table a few months ago so he and I have rekindled our addiction to foos.  He played in the 70's and me in the 90's.

I shoot the rollover, but he has finally gotten his pull back.  Shoots it pretty lightening fast and can go short/middle/long.  Is it pretty much a guessing game at this point like blocking the rollover or is there some defensive stance I can try to slow the bastard down?

Re: blocking the pull
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 01:41:28 AM »
I'm trying to get my game back, myself.  Had a similar dilemma last Saturday night.

Psychology plays a big part of it; sometimes I go in thinking that baiting the shooter is best ... giving him a hole (or 2 if you really know him well enough to know which he'll shoot under the circumstances) and take it away.  On the other hand, when I tried that last Saturday, the shooter was just waiting for me to move away from one hole.  :(

Like I said, still trying to get my game back, but I had it down a few years ago, so the answer is within me.  Gimme' time!

And good luck on that.

LahTera

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 09:49:30 AM »
Thanks.

Started having a little more success last night, leaving front man stationary but sliding the back erratically until I could anticipate his shot.  I think folks tendancy is to try and shoot long since they work so hard to perfect the corner and the short shot is a "no talent" shot so the percentages probably lie within trying to anticipate and then block long.

Still a guessing game but I guess if blocking was guaranteed it would be a pretty boring game.

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »
Thanks.

Started having a little more success last night, leaving front man stationary but sliding the back erratically until I could anticipate his shot.  I think folks tendancy is to try and shoot long since they work so hard to perfect the corner and the short shot is a "no talent" shot so the percentages probably lie within trying to anticipate and then block long.

Against a good pull you don't want either man stationary.  It's a lot easier to read just a single moving man than two.

What you want to do is to run a motion defense that spends the majority of its time sitting in the holes he likes to hit (for most new shooters, that's long and straight).  So if he loves the long and straight, keep your men moving smoothly but randomly, spending much more time in the long and straight holes than the splits.  Normally use the near 2-bar man on the straight and the goalie on the long (this is called a "standard" defense).

Additionally, if he is a spray shooter you should consider a reverse defense (2-bar on the long, goalie on the straight) to cut off the angle on the long, but you need to be careful with the split then.  If you use the far 2-bar on the long, it's just a regular reverse defense; if you use the near 2-bar man on the long it's called a deadbar defense.

Unless he can hit deadbar well, switching into a deadbar defense occasionally is a good way to bait the straight.  If he can, then stick with a regular reverse.

Even if he's a square shooter, going into a reverse for a second or two now and then is a good way to throw off his reads.

Also, if  you're getting lit up then CHANGE.  Change from standard to reverse.  Or change your timing--go slower and smoother, or go crazy Cartwright shuffle, or go into a "wait on long and race back", or whatever.  But don't stick with something that's just not working.

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 02:15:18 PM »
great advice. .  thanks.

plus anytime I can work the words Crazy Cartwright Shuffle into something, it has to be gold!