Foosball.com Forums

Finding the right grip... and recoil.

Finding the right grip... and recoil.
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:25:04 AM »
My offense is mostly pull shot and push-kick.  Recently, I've been trying to square off my pull with a recoil.  I had it for a while, injured my wrist because I practicing so much in a short span and wiping the pull really hard, took some time off, and lost it again.  I can do a short recoil fine, but that doesn't help much.  And I've been looking at some videos and trying to determine whether I should change my grip too.

So, two questions here:

1. I hold my right-hand grip like a badminton grip.  My thumb and index curl around at the handle's groove (Tornado).  But some guys in my area have adopted a choked up grip, with their index finger curled up in front of the handle (i.e. around the metal rod) and tip of thumb just at the top edge of the handle.  What's the difference between these two grips?  I think I see Rico playing with the latter.  I haven't seen enough Loffredo to notice his grip (because if I can get my pullshot about the same as his, I might do alright for myself).  I did try changing my grip to the latter and tried some pullshots with recoil, and they MIGHT have been a little better (could be mental)... but still short.  But I find ball handling and the push kick more difficult -- could be because I'm not used to the grip yet, or could be the mechanics.

2. Sometimes the recoil works great for me.  It's fast, it's hard, it's awesome.  The ball feels like it's stuck right to my man through the entire motion, and it's fast enough that I can't even see it.  But that was just sometimes and for a period of about 1 month, and now I've lost it with my time off.  Any thoughts on how I can improve the recoil?  Things to look for?  Feeling to feel?  General thoughts?

Thanks!
Kevin