Foosball.com Forums

Ideas for handicapping play

Ideas for handicapping play
« on: August 16, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »
Hey all

I'd love some suggestions on how to play a handicapped version of foosball vs. my boys.  They're 14 and just getting into it, so I don't want them to just get whipped every time we play (I can't bring myself to not try my best or to let them win or even get close - if I can help it!  haha).

I've thought of playing one-handed, only scoring from the front or the back the entire game, and going through a progression of bars to score from (2 - 5 -3 and start all over).

Are there any obvious ideas I'm missing to get us all some practice and keep the games more competitive?

Thanks in advance.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
Re: Ideas for handicapping play
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »
Let them have the serve regardless of who scores. Score more points to win a game.

Personally, when I'm playing a new player who is not yet interested, I play a less structured game. I do passes and shots that are lower percentage but flashy. It shows them what possible without blowing them off the table.

Also, if there are 3 of y'all, play cutthroat. One plays singles the other two play doubles and rotate every point or game. Always fun for newbies because they get to play with a better player every few games.     

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 08:12:08 PM »
Great ideas.  I've definitely tried working on some of the stuff I see in the videos, so I'll continue that.  Cutthroat sounds awesome.  Thanks for the idea!  We'll play that tonight.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 03:51:20 PM »
My wife has never played foos until 3 months ago. We started out with her having to score 2 points to win, and we modify the drop rule where if the ball slips away RIGHT when she gets the Drop, she gets a do over. Now she still wants the do over, but she’s winning on a regular basis going to 3, sometimes four points. Of course I have to get to 5 points.

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »
Maybe when they score with 2 bar or goalie make those worth 2 points... or a point for clean 5 to 3 passes. Maybe well executed shots are worth 2 points. Have fun with it. I also think its good for you to not lighten up your play on them, they will get better faster playing against higher skilled players.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 04:26:38 AM »
As an alternative to ALWAYS giving them the drop, in our league matches whichever team is down gets the drop. Something more impactful outside of point handicaps would be something along the lines of you only being able to score from the goalie position, so you can still battle them on the 5 bar but couldn't score if you advance the ball from there. Standing on one leg while playing crossed up on the rods or whatever can be good for a quick laugh, but doesn't give any kind of realistic opposition. :-)

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
Assuming they can score at least 1 or 2 points a game, spot them 4 or 3 so you really have to play well to beat them. As they get better you can reduce that accordingly.