Foosball.com Forums

SC Foosball Event August 29th

SC Foosball Event August 29th
« on: August 18, 2009, 08:36:18 PM »
Greetings,

I’m posting this information for Mr. Bobby Brown of SC Foosball. There are a few good warm-up events heading into the NC State Foosball Championships in October. This tournament, at Carolina Wings and Ribs, will have many new players from all over SC attending. I’ve spoken to a few on the phone and I’m looking forward to meeting each of you personally. Please read the information below. I will have an information booth set-up with parts, balls, wrap and etc. I will also have table sponsorship forms for the upcoming NC State Foosball Championships that will allow you, the player, to play FREE. It’s an easy process if you take a little time to explain to friends, relatives, neighbors or coworkers about your efforts to support the Brigade Boys and Girls Club. I’m hosting a hotdog dinner at work to raise funds for a table sponsorship for myself as example. Table sponsorship forms are available for download at www.bonziniusa.com. We will have tables for sale at this venue with prices ranging from $1895 to $2195 (1 new table) for anyone interested.

I’ll see everyone at Carolina Wings and Ribs.

Alan

For more information about SC foosball, please visit www.scfoosball.com.

Back2Back DYPs

Saturday, August 29th

Carolina Wings and Rib House

West Columbia, SC

4 Tournament Tables and lighting provided by Bonzini USA

Open Play begins at 5:00pm

Registration for 1st DYP will close at 6:30 with the event starting at 7:00pm.

Registration for 2nd DYP will close at 9:00 with the event starting 30 minutes after finals of 1st DYP.

Master Level players Alan Cribbs and Bruce Nardoci will do an exhibition singles match between DYPs and will also be holding a brief rules seminar at 6:30.

Registration Fee: $10 per player per DYP Event.

Bonzini USA will have a booth set up on site with foosballs, handles, wraps, etc. on sale.  They will also have sponsor packages for the upcoming NC State Championships to be held October 2 - 4 in Wilmington. 

See attachments for details.

Sponsored by the SC Foosball Players Association.
www.scfoosball.com

Back2Back DYP

Format and Rules of Play

FORMAT

The players registered for the event will be divided into 4 groups. 

1 – Highest Ranked Players

2 – Next highest ability players

3 – Next highest ability players

4 – Next highest ability players

Based on the number of registrations, we anticipate that master and expert ranked players will be ranked 1.   If more than ¼ of the players fall into this category, the lowest ranked experts will fall into group 2.

Players ranked 1 will have a partner drawn from those ranked 4

Players ranked 2 will have a partner drawn from those ranked 3

Players ranked MASTER in Doubles will have to play goalie in the DYPs.

Double Elimination:  2/3 Winner’s Bracket   1/7 Losers   (2/3 Finals of Loser’s}

Double Dip:  First half of teams out get into DD.  No fees.  Single Elimination 1/7

Our intention is try to level the playing field and allow each team a realistic opportunity to win.  The vast majority of SC players are either novice or novice elite.  Having a master level player playing front would put most opposing teams in a no win situation.

RULES OF PLAY

ITSF Rules will apply but with the following understanding:

Quite a few of the players present will have had no prior experience playing ITSF rules. 
If we can make this a learning experience for players and not a penalty prone experience, we can keep this positive.
When an obvious rules violation occurs, stop play and explain what the rule is. 
Start the ball back at the point of infraction with no penalty.

PRIZE MONEY

Entry fees will be $10 per player per event.   Distribution will be as follows:

Winning Team                           60%
2nd Place Team               30%
Double Dip Winner          10%

BASIC (As basic as I can make them)

ITSF “Unofficial” RULES OF PLAY

By Bobby Brown

STARTING PLAY

Unlike bar foosball, you don’t foos the ball.  Once you determine who is to get the first foos (normally a flip of a coin), the ball is given to the player and they place it at their middle man on the 5-Bar.  The ball can be in the front pin, back pin or beside the middle man.  Once the player positions the ball, he asks his opponent, “Are you ready?”  When the opponent responds yes, the player controlling the ball has to have another man on the 5-bar touch the ball for 1 second.  I typically back pin the ball as far away from me as the middle man will go.  I can then just lift my man and have the man next to it come over and touch the ball for 1 second.  This prevents me from having to move the ball and I reduce the risk of turning the ball over. 
At this point I can move the ball along the 5-Bar, take a shot or pass the ball to my 3-rod.

THE FOOS

Once play begins, the team that gets scored on gets the foos.  There is no rotation.

PASSING FROM THE 5-BAR

One man passes are illegal.  In other words, if I have control of the ball with a man (the ball in a front pin, back pin or side position), I cannot pass the ball with that man.  I must put the ball in motion and use another man (not controlling the ball) to pass the ball.  Example:  I may have the ball back pinned behind my 2nd man on the 5-bar.  I could move the ball toward the wall and without catching the ball, hit the ball with my 1st man on the 5-bar passing along the wall or through a gap in the other players men to my 3-bar.

This is much easier to demonstrate than it is to describe.  This rule was my biggest adjustment.  It doesn’t take long to adapt but takes years to perfect.

SHOOTING FROM THE 5-BAR

5-Bar shots are legal.  Most good players will tell you the 5-bar shot is stopped by the opponent’s 5-bar defense and not by the goalie.  Most good players prefer to pass to the 3-Bar and score from up front.  Bottom line – if your opponent can’t play a good 5-bar defense and you have a good shot from the 5-Bar, take it.

DEAD BALL

If the ball stops on the table and cannot be reached by either players’ men, the ball goes to whoever had the last foos.  Where the ball goes depends upon where the ball stops on the table.  See next rule on putting ball back in play.

PUTTING A DEAD BALL IN PLAY

The rules of beginning play apply to putting a dead ball in play.  Whether at the 5-Bar or at the goalie, you must ask the opponent if they are ready, wait for a response, then touch the ball to a second man for 1 second before shooting or passing.

SPINNING THE ROD

You cannot spin the rods.  This is not to be confused with the “rollover” or “snake shot”.

THE ROLLOVER/SNAKE SHOT

This shot originated on the hard ball table and has become a very popular shot with some of the Bonzini players.  It is a legal shot.  The rollover involves front pinning the ball and placing the handle at the wrist joint.  The player rolls the handle over as he pulls his arm up with the handle ending up in his hand in standard position.  The rod/man rotates 360 degrees.  The handle never loses contact with the player.  There is no uncontrolled spin. 

BALL COMING BACK OUT OF GOAL

Under Bonzini and ITSF rules, if the ball hits the back of the goal (pings) and comes back out, the point counts.  The ball is picked up and the opposing team gets the foos.

The purposes of the rules are to standardize play and to take a lot of the luck out of the game.  Most of us have had folks throw in the foos and slap it before everyone was ready.  The rules tend to promote a more controlled game.  It does not prevent players with quick reflexes from making pick-up shots, it simply reduces the amount of luck required to score and forces folks to learn to pass and shoot better.  As most good players will tell you, everyone can learn to shoot. Ball control is the ultimate key to being a champion. 

Hope this helps!  Enjoy the game.

Garrett Alan Cribbs
President
Cribbs Inc./Bonzini U.S.A.
Office/Fax 336-325-3183
http://www.bonziniusa.com