Foosball.com Forums

Clearing the ball...

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
Re: Clearing the ball...
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 10:55:42 PM »
Bar hacking is about the only "competitive" atmosphere to feel comfortable in because it's just 75 cents that someone is gambling versus an entree fee for a DYP. I really thought I would be able to get back in it, but with the eyesight deteriorating, the ability to catch the ball consistently is going too. I'm just going to sell my table and move on with my life...

Unless your eyesight is terribly going bad, with no corrective options (cataracts or glaucoma) you should still be able to play foosball!  Sounds like you're just extremely frustrated with not being able to jump right back in after missing out for 20 years.  And you're unwilling to go back to scrub level.  That's unfortunate, because many comeback players take the opportunity to be able to relearn the game they loved as a youth, and learn to relish it all over again.

If you can remember how and what made you really love foosball back in the day, you might remember what commitment and hours it took back then to get decent.  Same requirements hold today.  Hope you can get that spark back... and you're playing among foosers who can help you, if you let them.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
jinho, I feel your pain. I've been away from foos for 20+ years, and trying to get back into it has been a love/hate relationship (I love the game, but people hate to draw me as a partner). It makes you want to just play singles so that you don't feel like a burden to someone. All the practice in the world isn't going to get me back into tournament shape if it's done at home by myself (and my wife, bless her heart, doesn't have the passion for the game to take too many practice sessions). Bar hacking is about the only "competitive" atmosphere to feel comfortable in because it's just 75 cents that someone is gambling versus an entree fee for a DYP. I really thought I would be able to get back in it, but with the eyesight deteriorating, the ability to catch the ball consistently is going too. I'm just going to sell my table and move on with my life...

I have to disagree. I quit for 10 years. Then played once every 3 or 4 months for 5 or 6 years, but wasn't really having fun. I have been doing business with Tracy McMillin and he talked me into start comming out to the BYP once a month in 2006. I was very slow to improve, even with T-Mac's instruction and encouragement. In 2008 I bought an old Blonde coin-op. I made a few improvements to it and started practicing3 or 4 days a week 2 hours a day. I still only improved a little. When I quit in 91 I was rated Pro and that's the short term goal right now. Right before worlds last year Dave Gummeson came to Houston to Practice with T-Mac for a week and I got to play against him and talk with him. Dave is my age, 48. He gave me some pointers on practice habbits. I shared those a little earlier in this thread. Getting consistant at exicuting your passes and shots is the first thing you have to do to step up to another level. Just playing in more tournaments is not going to acomplish this. Carve out the time to spend on productive practice with good practice habbits.

You are correct that you need time playing against other better players with no pressure, but you can improve with Home practice by your self.

Since Worlds last year, I started implementing Dave's advice and at first I didn't see a big difference. But after keeping at it a few months, this year my play has jumped to a whole other level. Don't be discouraged, it's hard work for an "old guy" to be competitive in this Young Mans game. I also do special workouts to strengthen and stretch muscles and tendons specifically for foosball.

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 06:19:28 PM »
Ok didn't want to reply back until I made some progress...

My defense, I feel, has improved quite a bit.  Still a rookie mind you, but I think I can read shooters a little better.  I've come to realize that 15 seconds is a long arse time, and I was rushing things quite a bit (which would add to my crappy play decisions).  I randomize/mix up my defense much better, still get caught on dead bar shots or get embarrassed by a dink because I'll get too excited.

I consistently have problems with people that shoot a solid push or pull kick shot...  I get like tongue tied-errr hand tied and I find myself in a momentary "I" pattern where my guys are just barely offset from each other, which leaves too much of the goal open.  The advice the guys keep telling me is to cover the space they like to shoot, and I think that is pretty much a generic tip that everyone follows, right?  But there must be something more to this that I am missing...need help defending these shots.

Also, getting much better on clearing the ball.  I think I have an ok 2 man shot (spray and square)...with an occassional long wall brush pass to the 3 to throw off the opposing team.  Also working on a 2 man pull kick for when the defense is blocking my lanes on my far wall (pull side).

Man, for such a "simple" game there are lot's to think about at all times...

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 02:37:59 AM »
Just like combat operations, Jin..

You just described what makes foosball or any game fun.  There's stuff you have to do, stuff you have to remember, and stuff you have figure out.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a game, if any retard could figure out how to play it well.

Just do your OODA loop as many times as possible and as consistently as possible.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
I'll chime in as well, because it's always helpful to get help from anyone of any level with experience.

While Taiwan doesn't have the depth of players in the US, I think we still have some players who (I've been told) can easily be semi-pro and possibly pro level in the US.  I've had relative success as an offensive goalie, and I think it comes from a combination of several factors and abilities.

1. A fast pull that can be very short, short, medium, and occasionally long (need to make that more consistent) from any point.  Of course, there is a more natural far-side set-up point.  It's important to have a lot of release points (and even start points).

This alone may work well on up to rookies, I think.  But then more zones start coming up, and taking away those lanes. So...

2. An angled brush shot from the same set-up point.  Often the angled shot is open if the opposing forward is focused on a straight pull.

But some people know to look for that as well, and cut off that angle.

3. Tic tacking effortlessly between you goalie 2-rod men, off the walls, etc.  Moving the ball can cause a forward's D to get lazy and open some holes.  While you're tic tacking, look around for opportunities.  Honestly, sometimes I just focus on the forward's 3 with the goal to not get blocked or stuffed by that.  I sometimes worry less about his/her 5.

When you have a bit of offensive skill, defenses will focus their attention towards the center of the table.  To keep them on their toes, ...

4. Get a bit of chemistry with your forward and throw a pass once in a while.  I particularly like a sudden pass between the opposing 51 and 52 players (or 54-55).

If all that doesn't seem to work...

5. Bank and angled shots.  Just clear the zone any way and try to move the ball up where your forward has a chance to get to it.

So, keeping all these in your back pocket, watch the defense and analyze what will and what won't work.

Hope that's a little helpful.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
Whoop, I guess I didn't check the date of this post, and didn't read your last one.  But glad you've made some progress!