Foosball.com Forums

Are you getting better?

Are you getting better?
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
I just wondered if the game is getting collectively better because everyone who plays is always getting better or do many just maintain what they think is a sufficient game.

Re: Are you getting better?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »
My game has gotten a lot better over the past 5 years of getting back into it, but my five-man is not improving enough. It's improving, but I just don't see how some of these guys do what they do. Amazing.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
When I quit the game in '95 I was playing competitively all of the time - locally anyway. This kept my game really sharp. My 5 was good enough to keep up with most local pros even though I was an up and coming am-semi. I got a table in Jan. 2009 and have been playing in about 1 tournament - a dyp or bring, every 1 to 2 months. No matter how good I think I am progressing on the 5 at home when I get out to the tournament I can't execute the passes consistently. I believe the key is lots of tournament play or at least lots of pick up games against tournament quality players. My shot has come back strong. It's just getting that 5 row back to a high execution percentage.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »
My game has gotten a lot better over the past 5 years of getting back into it, but my five-man is not improving enough. It's improving, but I just don't see how some of these guys do what they do. Amazing.

It's called practice :)

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 05:24:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice ;D

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 06:53:22 PM »
i learned some of my 5bar moves from the insidefoos vids ,helps to dissect the pass and the series used ,etc ,

ice is right ,its called practice, practice all your passes each day .it helps since you have to "learn" them get them down pat , go play a tourney ,use the new and old passes together
my 5's improved a bit... good luck!

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 05:42:55 PM »
Oh man, you guys said a mouth full on the passing. I went to a tournament up in Seattle this weekend and while my shooting and scoring was off the hook, my passing was simply horrendous. I mean it was so bad I kept looking down to make sure my hand was still attached.  I am going to be doing a lot of studying and practicing techniques that come from other sources as the stuff I cook up isn't working. It's hard to face that truth but why prolong doing it ineffectively. My game at goalie went up a notch or two though. I shut down a couple of guys who are serious players up in this country. It was a totally sweet time and I have a whole bunch of new found confidence, I shut them DOWN! Lol, life is good! When I find a left hand that fits and works I'll be ready for the big time,,, ;)

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:32:21 AM »
both kinds of players...those who play for fun and they try and get better when they are playing but they don't do anything outside the DYP or bar to try and improve

then there are those who try and improve and actually put time outside bars and tournaments trying to improve....i'm 53, been back 6 years now and I practice an hour or two every day during the week and more on weekends...every part of my game is improving and has from the beginning..

if i wasn't so overweight which limits my standing and playing time, I would put in 3-4 hours a day during the week and 4 to 6 on the weekends but i have to deal with what i have

i study film, read, plan, play my DYP, with a bud for singles (4 to 6 hours), local bar, an occasional tourny (as i can afford them :( )...I am now pushing to put it all together and make my tournament play tough and consistant...we shall see

OM, I took two years and did 5 bar only (almost literally) and it made a big difference...might as well start on it as you said :)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
Bbtuna, of course I've started. It was probably the most glaring difference of skills from when I stopped playing till now. Players today understand the importance of passing and have worked diligently at learning those skills. Plus the internet has allowed them to see and study those who have developed extraordinary skill sets thus giving them specifics to work on. Back in our day we had to be lucky enough to have such players available to learn from. You had to live in an area where they played. Now a guy can see and learn to execute the same skills as someone half way around the world. The thing about myself is I seem to focus so intensely on a specific thing that often times I miss the big picture and when I all the sudden realize what's right in front of me I have one of those "A HA!" moments. Those are great when you are in a tournament situation and the heightened awareness brings on the revelation, perfect time for it to happen. I think that that is how it will be in my passing game as I do work at it hard but I am missing something,,, I have complete confidence that I will "get there". It's just a matter of time.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:36:34 PM »
Old Meister, just some of what Dave Gummeson shared with me about the passing game practice.

OK Will, KCTrayn was exactly right when he said,"

Whoa - hold on Will. You need to concentrate right now on 1 pass (brush or stick) and 1 shot (pull or snake). In the beginnings, it is important that you choose one and become proficient at it. Once you feel you have a good handle on one of them (your "A game"), you can then start to throw in your "B game" if needed."

So let's start at the beginning. I don't care how good your money shot is, or how well you read the defence, if you can't get the ball, you can't score. Matches are won and lost on the 5 bar.

1st things first. You made a good decision in my opinion, by deciding to go with the stick lane and wall series. The reason I say that is because from what you have said, that is where you have something good to work with. You said you have a fast wall. Now what's needed is a good lane. Put the oposing 5 rod about 1/8" away from your near wall. Do wall passes for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, keep doing them until you can do 10 in a row without misexicuting. Focus on what you are doing right before you do the wall pass. Remember how it FEELS. Oh, this is very important, when practicing a pass or a shot, practice it like a regular posession in a match. On the 5 rod start from the middle as in the "Ready Protocall" When you have completed the wall pass exercise, think about this:
You are going to learn a lane pass that starts out, and looks exactly like your wall pass.

Put the oposing 5 rod against your near wall, now slide the bumper at the far side of that rod against the far wall, this will hold that rod against your near wall.

Now you are ready to begin LEARNING a lane. We are going to break it down into easy steps.

1. Always start the pass from the same spot, (for now) after you get your consistancy you can add in changing where you start from.
2. Now put you 3-1 man right where you are going to pass the ball, (as close to the 2nd man on the oposing 5 bar as you can). By learning to pass the lane here forces the oponent to block your wall or lane with the same man. If you hit the lane to deep, they will be able to block it with the 2nd man by staying on the wall.
3. Remember your start pattern from the wall pass, give the same movement to start and jump out to hit the ball straight down to your 3-1. Make sure not to use a high back-swing. You want everything to be quick and compact.
4. You do NOT NEED TO HAMMER IT. Hit it crisp, and quick,...YES, but you don't have to hit it hard, if you do it just makes it harder to catch.
5. When you feel comfortable striking the ball and catching it consistantly. Watch your pass.

Does it look like your wall pass? Ask others opinion. MAKE IT LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME.

Now you are ready to put your 3-1 on the wall and practice comming off the wall to catch it.

Remember: Practice the same pass for 15 minutes, then complete 10 in a row before moving on to the next pass.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:48:28 PM »
My game is getting better, but I need a TON more practice.
I used to stink like sweaty sneakers in week old trash...
 ;D