Foosball.com Forums

Back pins

Re: Back pins
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »

I haven't played on a T3000 yet, but backpins are definitely doable on my blonde side with the newer balls. I could never get them down before on tornado tables but now that I've got my own table and time to practice it's a series I really like. I'm not sure if it's the newer balls or just me gaining more control and finesse, but I'm actually surprising myself with what I can do from a back pin.

Charles must not have seen your question yet or I'm sure he'd chime in, he's the back pin king and has been doing it with success on all Tornado tables for years.

I've always done push and pull kicks off a back pin and reverse, but now I'm finding I have about a dozen options from a back pin on the middle dot up front. It's going to be a couple of months before I get it blueprinted but even less than a week into playing around with it I can do all snake options and a few more you can't do with a rollover. The shot just feels fun and natural to me, it's more like a dance with the goalie and I'm finding I like that a lot more than just "beating" a goalie with my pull shot.

I shoot them with my wrist and the control that's possible is phenomenal. Mechanically speaking all options CAN be performed to a high degree of precision and consistency. It takes a good feel for the shot and a strong wrist to do it the way I'm doing it, but that's all just practice.

I really like the whole series, so much in fact that I'm ready to retire a smoking pull shot to the back-up position. Great options, more than any other series I've tried and they're options that I can do comfortably and confidently. Like so many old pull shooters, I'm ready for something that's easier on my arm but the rollover seems totally unnatural to me. I can do back pins all day compared to a pull shot, partly because it's a dance and much more relaxed and fun, and partly because I don't have to go from zero to a hundred in no time flat.

Charles: If you're around I'll probably want to tap you for more info when I get to any sticking points with the series. I also want to make a video of what I'm working with so far just to get an expert opinion from you and any other dedicated back pinners here. I'm all happy like I just discovered a hidden gem, but I only discovered it a few days ago so I want a little more time with it so I don't go hollywood with frankenpin.

Re: Back pins
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2011, 04:20:35 PM »
Thanks for that!  If all goes well I am getting the coin-op 3000 in a couple of months, and while I haven't played for a long time time until recently, it just seems like the back-pin is the most natural position, I fall into it a lot, and do things without even planning to that give people problems. I look forward to discovering what you talk about  = )