Foosball.com Forums

Summer Tournaments?

Offline Joel

Summer Tournaments?
« on: June 16, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »
So now that the summer months are upon us, does anyone know if there are any tournaments planned for the Fargo area? I'd love to hit up a GF tournament but it would have to be on a Saturday.

Also, when is the new Rhombus Guys opening up in Fargo? I'm thinking we should have some sort of grand opening tournament once it does open.

-Joel

Re: Summer Tournaments?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
Hadn't seen your post until today.  No plans currently for a Turf tournament.  Summer is pretty tough to schedule.  I was hoping would could get a single day tournament going at Sports Bar, or Rhombus South when it opens.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
i have not planned anything special for this summer.  i have been too busy.   we do, however, still have weekly tournaments on thursdays.  we've been getting at least six teams per night with up to nine teams.  we'll start a weekly night in fargo once we open up.  what is a good night to have foos in fargo? 

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:04:15 PM »
That is a good question.  The Turf scene always gets slow during the summer, but it's been slowing down in general as well.  My understanding is the microsoft guys play poker on thursdays, and the Turf has it's foos night on thursday.  So a different night might be the key to getting more teams to the table.  I'll try to talk to people here and see what they say.  Whatever makes it available to the most people is good.  I'm curious to see what day works for others.

Offline Joel

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
I would vote for either Tuesday or Wednesday nights

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:46 PM »
Tuesday or Wednesday would work good for my schedule most weeks.  I talked to Cody and Flotty; Those guys have a pretty rough work schedules that makes most nights impossible except Fridays and Saturdays.  I haven't heard back from Kane on what night he thinks would be good.  Preston works the same schedule as Flotty.  To summarize, I don't know what's best.  My schedule changes week to week, so having two different foos night possibilities makes my life easier.  Looking forward to having a new look at Fargo Foos.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 08:33:31 PM »
we are having our friends and family night at rhombus guys 606 main ave. on the 26, 27, and 28 of august.  if any foosers(fargo or gf) would like to stop by that would be great.  we will have free food and pop, but you must pay for alcohol.  if you are interested, let me know which day you will come.  we will be opening up at 11am

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:58:21 AM »
My schedule is kinda up in the air, but I may be able to check it out saturday night or possibly sunday.

Offline Joel

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »
Awesome, I am free on the 26th. I'll ask around at work and see if I can round up a few extra players for a decent tournament.

Joe - can you ask around at the Turf and see if you can get them to come on the 26th?

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:55:59 AM »
I'm working on it.  A couple people will be out of town.  I haven't talked to everybody yet though.  I'm still hoping to get there on saturday.

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:48:38 AM »
joel, i'll mark you down for friday.  joe, i got you down for saturday. if these days change, and/or if you figure out how many people you'll be coming with, please let me know.  my number is 218 686 0694. thanks

Offline Joel

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:47 PM »
Sounds like around 8 of us from work will be stopping by Friday night. Any word on the GF foosers that will be coming down?

Offline Joel

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:06 PM »
Just wanted to give a heads up that I will be heading up to Grand Forks this Thursday night for their weekly tournament at Rhombus Guys. If anyone else from Fargo wants to join me, let me know. I was told the tournaments start at 9, so I figure if we leave around 7:30 we should get there with a few minutes to spare.

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 02:31:19 PM »
thanks for coming to play on thursday joel.  after you lost your first match, i didn't think you'd come back to win....but you did.....   i'm thinking we should do our foosball night in fargo on fridays or saturdays.   what do people think of this? 

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
About that rules question I haven't been able to find a clear answer, which leads me to think I'm probably wrong.   I may have found the seed to my belief.  In the Specialty Games section of the USTSF rules there is a game called Four on Four. http://www.foosball.com/content.php?page=90
It has the following Legal Shots description.
--------------------------------------
2. Legal Shots

2.1 The game is played rollerball style, i.e., a ball may not be pinned for more than three seconds or stopped for more than one second, and there is a ten second time limit per rod.

2.2 Once a ball is stopped or pinned, the player must make sure the ball touches another man of the same team (on any rod) in order to score a point.
--------------------------------------
I did see some tournaments described as "doubles rollerball", but as far as I've been able to find today, nothing indicates that official Doubles is played rollerball style.  10 second limit is different than the 15 second total limit in the Tornado rules you had last night.  I can't seem to find an Official Tornado Rules online.  It seems they're very protective of the sale of the rule books.