Foosball.com Forums

More on Backpins

More on Backpins
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:15 AM »
I want to comment on the backpin thread but it's too old to register so I'm starting anew.
     Several people on that thread said that it's difficult to get good lateral speed on a backpin, hard to get that instant 0 to 100 take-off like a pull shot, and that it's a relatively "slow" shot. This surprises me because I find that I can get better & easier instant take-off lateral speed with my backpin pull than any other shot I've ever done. With the ball behind the rod and my foot on the ball, already cranked back, it's like the shot is already halfway done and all I have to do is finish the shot at the deadman position. I'm swinging the man forward at the same time I'm pulling the rod towards me. It's blazing fast and deadman long, even on the small Tournament Soccer goal.
     Alternatively, when I do the push I don't have blazing speed but the motion is so super-smooth people don't seem to see the take-off. I call it my kerplunk shot, I just kerplunk it in. Not as long as the pull but sneaky effective. I do the same thing, basically, as I do with the pull, I swing the man forward at the same time I move the rod laterally. I'm aiming at the far hole and pointing my foot at it as I execute.  The take-off isn't so much fast as it is quick.
     What opens up the far push & pull holes is the split, which you absolutely have to have to keep the goalie honest. Instead of a short pull split, it's a super-short pull split. Describe a tiny circle with the foot in the pull direction and swing the man forward ever-so-slightly. DON'T SHOOT A PULL, DESCRIBE A TINY CIRCLE! I learned this split in 1976 from a pull shooter from Chicago who appeared to be shooting the ball around & behind the 2bar man. Learn this split with either the backpin or pullshot and the goalie will tighten up their defense and open up the ends of the goal.
     When I get my brand new Fireball table next month I intend to practice, practice, practice and get my shot back after a brief 19 year layoff. Then I'm coming after ALL of you!   :)

Re: More on Backpins
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
 Playing forward I usually like to shoot a ball from under the 3b or front pinned,ie, closer to the goal as an advantage. Now that I'm playing more goalie, I realize that ball out front closer to my 2b is sometimes easier to track & defend. A well shot backpin (with multiple variants) seems to come out of no where. :o  It's also a good shot from the 2b either directly on goal or banked.  Will be curious about how it goes for you on your soon to arrive table.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Yes, the backpin is a great shot to shoot from the 2rod. Curiously, I've never been as comfortable shooting my backpin from the 2rod as the 3rod. It must be a psychological block because the motion ought to be the same. But I've seen plenty of goalies who shoot the 2rod  backpin and it's an extremely effective way to shoot banks. As for defense against  the 3rod backpin, I find it more difficult to block than any other shot. A good backpin shooter just has so much control and so many options; Push, pull, split, reverse into a pushlick or pullkick, bankshot or masse. I wonder if Frederico has a backpin? I watched him on youtube for the first time today. Incredible. The backpin was about the only thing I didn't see him shoot!
     I'm just a little bit apprehensive about what's going to happen when I get my BRAND NEW FIREBALL FOOSBALL TABLE (!) and I totally suck after almost 20 years without touching a table. But fear is only an emotion and I love a challenge so I'm going to give it my best. bbtuna told me he came back  after a long layoff and he knows of others who did the same and are now as good or better than before, and I've been having foosball dreams lately which are so real I remember exactly how to execute certain shots, so I've still got it in my blood. Relearning is going to be fun.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
We have an occcasional player in our club who uses the backpin on the 2 bar.  For a guy who only plays occasionally, his backpin is hard to block (blocking from the opposing 3bar).  He's quick on the release and smacks the ball hard.  I agree though, I think the shot is easier to execute off the 2bar than the 3bar.  I suspect it has to do with the torsion of the rod, but cant be sure.

One downside to the backpin versus frontpin: there is more of a chance of misexecuting and 'stubbing' the ball on the backpin versus the frontpin.