Foosball.com Forums

This table look ok?

This table look ok?
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:46:45 AM »
Been looking for a table, was thinking about getting a fireball but can't really justify the cost of a new table. It won't get played that often, just looking for a decent table to play with friends occasionally.   

This just came through on craigslist. Not sure what model it is, doesn't appear to be a coin-op. Any thoughts?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/2946396241.html

Re: This table look ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Sorel,

Its a home model, not a bad table to learn on, maybe good for a year or so.  My thoughts would be to keep looking for a good coin op.  I held out for a coin op and am so glad I did, the men are not counter balanced, rods arent as durable, no leveling feet, etc on the table your looking at, all huge things to consider.  This is probably the best thread for getting information about a Tornado table!  Good Luck!

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
The link provided by doshounds is essential reading. Take a look at that and maybe make an appropriate offer on this table instead ($800 is much too high. Brown marble coin-ops should be closer to ~$400). When I was hunting for a table I actually sent that link to the prospective sellers to let them know what the market rate was for their table, since many didn't know. A few were actually appreciative and ratcheted down their asking prices. Others, not so much :-). As doshounds suggested, hold out for a coin-op.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/spo/2927430240.html
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:55:28 AM by kgstewar »

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
Ugh, sorry for the newb post. Ya I've read that thread before and I knew that  :-\.  I forgot about the counter balance part of the home tables. Was late and kinda out of it and thats the first decent looking table I've seen in awhile on craigslist.  Thanks for the responses.

I can't believe I missed that table kgstewar posted, that table doesn't show up on my stupid Craigslist app. I've been watching it for the past few weeks and that table I posted was one of the only tornado's I've seen.  There's something up with the searching on it, because I can't get that or a couple others to show up. I emailed them, hopefully they still have it and will accept a bit less. Don't want to go much higher then $600.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
This one was posted today http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/for/2949030409.html .  Going to go take a look at it, he mentioned it sat in a storage unit for 10 years. A couple of the rods are a little rusty, they have one replacement rod. Just did the math and if I had to replace the rods and men I might as well just get a new fireball. Didn't expect it to cost that much.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
It says $500 or B.O.  I would offer $300 and see what he says. You never know. If he says yes, go check the table out. Make sure the surface is flat and the goals aren't all busted out. If it looks good at $300 it would be a steal. Offering $400 would be pushing it. I bought a Tornado Brown Marble back in December for $400 from NY. My table was in rough shape, but with a couple hours of cleaning and a complete comercial up grade kit from the other guy, my table turned out AWSOME! I even have the clear side strips on it. I think of it as an investment.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
Was a bust. Most of the rods had some rust on them and two were really bad. You could tell it sat for a long time even the goal backs were rusty.  They said 450 was the lowest they would go so I passed. Not sure I would have even wanted to spend 300 on it. The way I saw it, it needed all new rods, a few bearings, and probably new men.  Maybe they would have cleaned up, but I just saw myself sinking $500 into it. Didnt even open the table up, could tell it wasn't for me.  Said he bought it in 96, must have been used I'm guessing with the metal feet.  The hunt continues....

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »
How about that table in Grosse Pointe? Are they willing to negotiate?

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
How about that table in Grosse Pointe? Are they willing to negotiate?

They must have sold it.  I've sent two emails and gotten no reply. Still can't believe I didn't see that one, it looked nice.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:03 PM »
If you can hold out, you WILL find a coin-op in good condition for a fair price. I know all too well how frustrating it can be to spend time driving to look at a table only to find out it's totally beat. I once drove 2 hours to look at a brown marble coin-op that the seller assured me was in GREAT condition. I get there and the rods are all rusted and bent, cabinet is all chipped up, and the coin mechanism had been torn out. I added up the cost of rehabbing this wreck and concluded that the only way it would be worth it is if they paid ME $200 to take it away. After that experience I insisted on high-res photos before I would come look.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
New tables run anywhere from $1200 to $2000. The guy with the brown marble you should offer $400. A complete comercial upgrade kit from Charles is around $500. That includes new men, rods, rubbers, handles, bearings, balls lube wrench. For $900 to $950 you would have one hell of a table. The act of buying, cleaning and putting it all together makes it even better.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 11:06:38 PM »
New tables run anywhere from $1200 to $2000. The guy with the brown marble you should offer $400. A complete comercial upgrade kit from Charles is around $500. That includes new men, rods, rubbers, handles, bearings, balls lube wrench. For $900 to $950 you would have one hell of a table. The act of buying, cleaning and putting it all together makes it even better.

Yeah I've kept that in mind.  This table wasn't worth it, you could tell they just 409'd it, from the faded mold stains all over the walls.  I would do that happily if I could get a table that was in decent shape, knowing I could leave it the way it is and be ok or if it gets played a ton then upgrade it in a year or so and have it be awesome.   To lay it out all at once, I think I might as well just buy a new fireball for a couple 100 more.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »
You made a good decision walking away from that table. When you see ANY rust on the rods or goals then it was exposed to moisture. The cabinet and surface of the table is made of MDF and will warp when exposed to moisture. Be aware of this in future table inspections. Your patience will pay off.