Foosball.com Forums

"Vintage" Bonzini restoration

Re: "Vintage" Bonzini restoration
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2013, 11:39:41 AM »
Yeah, you might be able to duplicate the original thickness. In my Bonzini, the total thickness of the playfield was made up from a combination of various pieces that were attached to each other. You might be able to do the same with your table. Although the individual pieces that you use may be different thicknesses from the original, the sum may be the same. Just avoid using plywood for the big sheet part of the base!

Kevin

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
So what did you too find was the best material for buidling a new floor from scratch? Thanks, Craig

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:35 PM »
I'm going to use particle board.

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »
Last time I posted I was faced with an upwarped-into-a-dome playfield and was going to build a new playfield out of warp-resistant particle board. I ended up just installing my warped playfield because it was taking me too long to actually build the new one. This turned out to be a good idea because thanks to the miracle of gravity, my playfield unwarped itself and is now pretty flat and very playable. I probably will build a new playfield at some point, but  the current one works great, so no urgency. I went ahead and took some photos of the finished (for now  :)) restoration. Table has been getting a lot of use!

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »
Wow, Great Job!
I am now gathering the parts to build a tournament size foosbal table. I have everything in place except for the rods. I was thinking of 5/8" stainless steel tubes or full  aluminium rods, but when I saw your table I thought about telescopic rods...
Can you please tell me what are  the length, inner and outer diameter of the internal and external rod?
Is the internal rod welded to the flange?
Also is there any kind of slide bushing or bearing that helps the rods to slide smoothly or is it just a lubricant? Any close up photos would be great...

Thanks

Nadav

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Thanks! I'm afraid with the table assembled it's not easy to provide the measurements or photos that you have requested. The internal rod is attached to the flange although I'm not sure how. There is no internal bushing, just lubricant.

I suggest visiting the Bonzini website and they might have the information. Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:26:04 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks. I found 14mm external rod and 9mm internal rod which suggests maybe 1.5-2 wall thickness...

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »
Although there is no internal bearing or bushing inside the outer rod, it does have a rather complicated threaded end plug and internal spring. Bonzini-style rods are great, but they would be hard to duplicate unless you had access to a metal lathe and milling machine. Tornado-style rods would be much easier.

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:16 AM »
Hello!Nice job on the table.I recently acquired an old coin op Rene Pierre table that is in good condition.I need to restore the playing surface as the table came with what appears to be a ping pong table cut to the dimensions of the table.The corners are not sloped and it doesnt have the "linoleum" surface.Any suggestions as to where I can get a schematic or plans to make my own.The slopes and linoleum are my main concerns.I know that Rene Peirre has the linoleum for sale on their website,but dont know how to purchase it.They have an American distributor,but they dont carry any parts as of yet here in the states.Also,does your coin mech work and if so,can you explain how?Any suggestions...???
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:27:04 AM by jedi711 »

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »
Piece of art!!!
beautiful, congratulations!

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »
Hello!Nice job on the table.I recently acquired an old coin op Rene Pierre table that is in good condition.I need to restore the playing surface as the table came with what appears to be a ping pong table cut to the dimensions of the table.The corners are not sloped and it doesnt have the "linoleum" surface.Any suggestions as to where I can get a schematic or plans to make my own.The slopes and linoleum are my main concerns.I know that Rene Peirre has the linoleum for sale on their website,but dont know how to purchase it.They have an American distributor,but they dont carry any parts as of yet here in the states.Also,does your coin mech work and if so,can you explain how?Any suggestions...???

Thanks! Not sure where you could get plans but the sloping corner braces should be easy to make. Just mimic the curves along the bottom of the "curbs" that rim the play field (this is assuming the Rene Pierre has these features). As far as the linoleum (actually Gerflex), contact Alan Cribbs at bonziniusa.com. I bought a sheet from him and I think the Bonzini Gerflex should be the same as the Rene Pierre. Ask Alan to be sure, he'll know.

Yes, my coin mechanism works. Not sure how to answer your second question: When you put a quarter in, it releases a catch that allows the rod to be pulled out which tips the ball tray. Is that what you wanted to know? I have mine set on free play which can be done by simply unhooking one little spring inside the mechanism.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 08:26:33 AM by kgstewar »

« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
Piece of art!!!
beautiful, congratulations!

Thanks!

« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2015, 06:00:24 PM »
Yeah I contacted Alan and was delighted by his knowledge of foosball.If its not a problem could you post a close up of the coin mechanism so I can see the part your talking about.Also,what type of black paint should I use to restore the players feet?Oil based,latex?Thanks again....Jeff

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
I used Testors gloss black for the feet. If I had to do it over, I think I'd look for a gloss black auto touch-up paint. The paints I bought from Alan Cribbs (blue and beige) were french auto paints and gave a nicer finish. Testors works fine but is just not quite as thick, glossy, and durable as the auto paints.

Here's a link to a video I made of the coin mechanism in my Bonzini. First I show how it works with a quarter and then free play.

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2015, 08:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the video.Heres a picture of one side of my coin mech.I just made a video.Just waiting for it to upload and I will link it up....

having technical troubles
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:18:36 PM by jedi711 »