Foosball.com Forums

replacing trim on grey marble to clear trim

replacing trim on grey marble to clear trim
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:49:17 PM »
hey foosers!...im gonna replace my white trim on the playing field of my grey marble coin op...to the clear trim...just wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on how to remove the old trim....your help is greatly appreciated!....thanks again!

Offline marty

Re: replacing trim on grey marble to clear trim
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 02:42:15 PM »
i did mine i just pealed it off if i remember they were held down with silicone so it srapes off fairly easy think i used alcohol  the chore for me was puting the clear strips down with out removing the rods but i got it and it turned out ok

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
hey marty! thanks for the input...appreciate it alot!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
I have done it to about 4 tables and the 5th will be soon. The easiest way to do it is by removing the rods. Take the handles off, unscrew the bushings and pull the rod out. Get a razor blade and butter knife and pry under the white strip and pull it off. It can come off in 1 piece or like one of the tables I did break off in many pieces (pain in the ass). I scraped silicone off with razor blade and magic eraser. Get it real clean. When you think it's good, put down new clear side strips. Even better if you have new lo profile bearings and new handles. Wall passes will be tight and let the banking begin. It's a project so have fun doing it.

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
you guys have been a huge help!...thanks guys for your time!!!....fooz-on!!

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:37 AM »
Does the clear trim help banking alot or is it personal preference. My tornado has the white ones still. if it helps it would be worth changing. Where would be the best place to purchase them.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/603100_2746974330824_323863387_n.jpg

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:15 AM »
Does the clear trim help banking alot or is it personal preference. My tornado has the white ones still. if it helps it would be worth changing. Where would be the best place to purchase them.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/603100_2746974330824_323863387_n.jpg

Yes it helps banking because the ball does not jump when it hits the strip. The white strips are much thicker and tend to lift the ball much more than the clear ones. Use torndaofoosball.com for the strips.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
well just to let you know the old strips came off by using a butter knife...just like chaggy31 said...i just pealed it right off and used my finger to rub off the access glue...still need to clean with alchohol...gonna try and put the new clear strip on without removing the men...anyone think thats a good or bad idea??...im just to lazy to take all the men off....thanks guys for your input!...much is appreciated!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
I changed the white strips on a Cyclone I owned a year ago and I did it without taking out the rods. You can do it, just be very careful. You need to push the strip to the wall wile you push down at the same time. But you do it gradually, keep the rest of the strip lifted off the table, that's the tricky part because there's little space between the playing field and the rods.

If you do it carefully I think you will be ok, or you could get help from some one else to lift the strip from one end wile you push and press on the other end and make your way to the other end.

I hope it helps  ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 05:48:55 PM »
Again, let me just say, the easiest way to do this is have an open table. You don't have to take the men off the rods. Just take the handles off and take apart the bearings. If you pull the handle side into th hole the bearing was, you should be able to take the other end of the rod out. Remove all rods with the men still on them and go to town putting on your new side strips. I did it this weekend on a grey marble coin op. The table came out AWSOME.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 10:01:01 PM »
i finally replaced the old trim...my advice to anyone who has'nt done...do it!....the clear looks way better than white...and hte banks are open!..thanks guys for your help!

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
After reading these posts I, too, decided to replace the sidestrips on my T-2000. I left the rods on and it worked just fine.

1. Pried up the end of the white sidestrip with a thin putty knife and grabbed hold. Was able to just lift the strip off in one piece.
2. There was quite a bit of adhesive residue on the table and sidewall. This came off pretty easily using a white scotchbrite pad and 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
3. Peeled about 6 inches of the backing paper off the new sidestrip and stuck the end in place.
4. Working slowly, I gradually peeled off the backing paper as I moved along, carefully sticking the strip to the table
5. Took the putty knife and pressed it down on the strip along its length to make sure it was well stuck.

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:33:47 AM by kgstewar »