Foosball.com Forums

Tornado Men New vs Old

Tornado Men New vs Old
« on: December 17, 2013, 03:50:51 AM »
Okay, so backstory. I recently bought a Blonde Tornado Coin Op if very nice condition. My adoring girlfriend, in the most wonderful of moods, and accidentally broke one of my men playing a little to rough. In looking to replace it, I realized the new tornado men are different than the ones on my model. I'm trying to decide if I want to replace the one old one or buy ten new ones and replace all the 2 rod and offensive 3 rod. Anyone able to tell me the pros and cons of the new vs old and their opinion of each? Old would all be uniform, but new may potentially be better (or worse.) Thanks in advance to anyone who shares their opinion.

Offline marty

Re: Tornado Men New vs Old
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
if it was me i would just replace it with the old syle uless your going all out and replaceing the side strips  handles

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
Thanks for your opinion Marty. Would you mind elaborating? Why would changing the handles and side strips change your opinion? It says the old style are of limited supply which is probably going to my push in that direction. That would be my luck. Replace a bunch with new men only to find i prefer the men I can no longer obtain. But for the sake of research, ascetic value aside, could you explain your answer? This is my first table of this quality so its all very new to me. Thanks man. :)

Offline marty

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
when tornado switched there table a few years ago to the new upgrade new men plasic handles clear
side strip they was  trying to make there table more bank friendly i think .the new man was to help the new side strips for sure helped

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »
There are some "subtle" differences between the old and new men.

Apart from the composition of the plastic, here are the main ones:

- The front side "sweet spot" was enlarged. This was supposed to help banks and back pins.
- The toe's edges were sharpened. Previously there was a ridge on the edges that made the men sturdier, but made chips more difficult to predict.