Foosball.com Forums

T-2000 Basics Please

T-2000 Basics Please
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

It's a pleasure to join this forum as a beginner - I've caught the Foosball bug from our relatively poor table at work where ~12 of us play multiple times a day.  Originally from Colorado, I'm now living in Sydney, Australia.

I feel I've hit the jackpot and found a T-2000 Mahogany Coin Op for $250 ($225 USD) locally.  The gentleman I'm buying it from was a custodian for the business who had it here in Sydney and when they moved out of state they let him have it.  There's not much knowledge of the table  between the two of us - to put it in perspective for you yesterday was the first time I've ever seen a Tornado table!  As far as my untrained eye can tell it's in good condition, just dirty, the men are firmly on the rods, there are some minor cracks in the men next to the pin, the rods are straight, I think the playing surface is flat (not certain yet).

The seller is a very nice gentleman but there's a bit of a language barrier between us and he's only ever transported it completely built so maybe you can help me answer some of these 101 questions:

1. Removing the Top - Sounds like there's a "Shift & Lift" hinge?  Will I likely need to hammer a pin out or hammer the top loose?  Should I bring a hammer and thin punch?  Any tricks or tips? WD-40?

2. Removing the legs - I couldn't see much underneath the table, assuming there's a nut & bolt or something inside the cabinet to take off the legs?  What can I expect to see here & what tools & sizes do you think I'll need to take this apart?

3. Is there anything else to consider or bring when disassembling & moving a table like this?

4. Shopping List - as these items can't easily be found in AUS I'm assuming these would be good purchases?  Anything else?

Super Pin Driver
Toolkit like this: http://shop.foosball.com/tornadotoolkit.html
Additional Counter balanced Men ~3 of each color
New pink/red balls
New Hinges - TBC - we'll see how easily they come apart
Handle Wraps
Liquid Silicon
Are Bearing pieces worth having on hand?

5.  Locking - I read that its worth having the table locked down during play but I'm assuming the keys are long lost, is it worth trying to replace this?

6.  Ball Return - The current owner just blocked the balls from going down into the cabinet, I'm assuming you can easily make these "free" play or tweak the cabinet to automatically return like a non coin op?

7. What year/s were the T-2000 Mahogany/Cherry units made?

I've done some searches on the forum and in the archives, maybe these questions are too basic!  I appreciate your help all.

Cheers,

Brandon

Re: T-2000 Basics Please
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »

1. Removing the Top - Sounds like there's a "Shift & Lift" hinge?  Will I likely need to hammer a pin out or hammer the top loose?  Should I bring a hammer and thin punch?  Any tricks or tips? WD-40?

2. Removing the legs - I couldn't see much underneath the table, assuming there's a nut & bolt or something inside the cabinet to take off the legs?  What can I expect to see here & what tools & sizes do you think I'll need to take this apart?

3. Is there anything else to consider or bring when disassembling & moving a table like this?

If you can unlock the top, it makes moving a lot easier. Replacement keys are available. Just look closely at the lock and you will see a small number, ending in either 94 or 95. Order the appropriate key. Once you have the top unlocked, here's a step-by-step description of the table disassembly:

1. Remove handles by punching out the roll pins. To do this, slide the rod so the handles are as close to the cabinet as possible. That way there is less chance of bending the rods. Tap tap tap with the roll pin punch and a hammer until the pins come out. Handles then slide off easily.

2. Remove scoring beads. Phillips head screw holds on each post, just unscrew these and each scoring unit can be removed, intact.

3. Remove bearing hex nuts with a Tornado wrench. These come off easily. If you don't have the bearing wrench, channel locks will work fine, just be gentle.

4. Remove split bearings.

5. Now the rods are loosey goosey. Slide the rod until the bumper on the end of the rod slips into the bearing hole. Once you do this the end of the rod will be JUST inside the cabinet and you can lift it up and out. This method allows you to remove the rods without removing the men.

6. On the hinges holding the top half to the bottom half is a small acorn nut. Remove those.

7. Lift top (with help) and slide the top unit off the hinge.

8. Unscrew the nuts holding the legs on. 2 nuts per leg, and I believe they are 9/16".

9. Again with help, lift the bottom half off the legs.

Now you have the legs, bottom half, top half, scoring units, and rods all separate. At this point, the whole table will fit into a small station wagon.

I'll let others chime in for your other questions  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:44:33 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
Thanks kgstewar,

That's very helpful with some excellent tips I'll be sure to use!

Cheers,
Brandon

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 05:47:50 AM »
Hey all, I finally came across bbtuna's thread - I think all of my remaining questions were answered in there.

Many thanks!

Brandon

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:58:27 PM »
Re:  6. On the hinges holding the top half to the bottom half is a small acorn nut. Remove those.

Perhaps mine is different for some reason.  On my coin-op, they don't look like there's anything like a acorn nut that can be unscrewed and removed.  There is a round part/tip on one end of the threaded screw, but looks almost soldered to me.  There isn't much there to grab on to twist off.  I have pics to share, wish I could easily attach here. 

If that is the case, I must then unscrew the hinges to separate top and bottom half?  Or can I use a hammer to pound out the screw?  Please advise.  My goal is to move it to upstairs room from garage. 

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
Based on your description neither side has acorn nut. If hinges are installed correctly you just need to open top and slide it one way or the other to separate from bottom.   I would consider this a 2 man job and not to attempt by yourself.