Foosball.com Forums

Pinning the ball to the wall with the outside man?

Pinning the ball to the wall with the outside man?
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:39:37 AM »
Howdy, just found this forum and hope to be getting pretty serious with my foosball now that I just bought my first table! I have a Classic Sport Model 888 now and as my friend pointed out, the gap between the outside man and the sidewall is just big enough that you can't pin the ball against the wall- something we're used to from the Tornado table we play on at a nearby bar.

I'm guessing since most serious games happen on Tornado tables that their setup would be more accepted, but would you consider it a big deal if you went to play a table and lost that opportunity?

side note: any thoughts on that particular table? it was only $50 and seems to be more than worth it already

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
Re: Pinning the ball to the wall with the outside man?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »
So basically it's impossible to stop a wall pass? Seems like it would take the fun out of the game....

I can't help you on the particular table. I've never heard of it.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
Most of your tournament players are not going to think too highly of your table.  But if it brings you enjoyment, it's well worth the $50.

If you decide later to get into more serious foosball, you'll want to upgrade.  There are far too many variables to to discuss when it comes to the difference in a tournament table and the department store variety.

Think Lexus vs Yugo.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
I think the vast majority of us learned to love foosball on crap tables... and I love the backyard beerfoos regardless of the table.  I think as long as the ball is quality, table is level, there is minimal ball wander on the playfield, bars lubricated, and most of the components are in great shape all beginners and most novice won't care.  I personally look at it as an opportunity to play with different people and practice new things (unless I meet a better player ...then it's full on...). 

The only problem is as your crew gets past the novice stage you will want to invite and compete with others.  The altered timing/angle of advanced shots, difficult ball handling, and overall lack of control will frustrate experienced people on a low end table.  The crap tables usually have serious issues with clever play.  Experienced players will definitely factor your table when deciding on where and when to play.

Regarding your table, I suggest you try to narrow your bumper somehow... I would recommend making a measurement of your bumper and go to a games/billiards dealer store and look for a bumper that is more narrow.  Buy some samples and you can shim them thicker with very thin stainless (or teflon) 16mm (5/8") center hole flat washers to make em just right.  If one plays good ... well... buy a set and finish at least the five bar rods.  Jim from this site is really good with finding stuff to fit your needs ..what is your bumper thickness???

I personally would refit the bars to all warrior or shelti components for a number of reasons assuming you have standard 5/8" bars and figure size/height.  That could get you your wall spacing (depending on your bearing shoulder width off the wall), better ball control, better figures, and a more standard feel to the table.  Definitely try a variety of balls from this site; each high end ball has its own character and feel and can tweak your table just right!  My buddy loves the fireball orange on his Harvard... Hard and fast play, reasonable control, wears out slowly.

It's been mentioned elsewhere on this site, but reasonably good used tables such as cyclone II or tournament soccer can start around $250.  Keep it in mind as you progress...

Happy Foosin'
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:48:44 PM by johnwallan »

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »
Well there are two ways to look at this.  One way is to see it as a "home field advantage" in knowing how to sneak the ball past your opponent. But, if you're looking for a more realistic playing experience, there is an easy fix. For different reasons, I had a table many years ago that had this problem as the result of some mods that I made to it. The quick fix is to trim the bumper down so that the player gets close enough to the side wall to stop the ball. I used a utility knife and it worked well.