Foosball.com Forums

Table refurb progress - removing rust and cleaning bumpers!

Table refurb progress - removing rust and cleaning bumpers!
« on: October 15, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
Posted last week about a Tornado Twister table I picked up for cheap and finally getting to do a little refurbishing.  First up, the rods had a lot of surface rust on them so I tried the aluminum foil and water trick and WOW did that do the trick!

Before;

After;

Before;

After;

Rust is GONE!  Wear marks are still there but nothing can be done about that. 

Also used some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the bumpers and they turned out very well too;

Before;

After;

I got my order in for new handles as well, so bye bye broomstick handles and hello new fangled plastic/rubber whatever handles!  Now I need to clean up the playfield, build a ball return, and put things back together. 

Pulled off each guy and gave them a good bath with dishsoap and water - they cleaned up nice as well.

Waiting for action;

Can't wait to be playing!!

-Lyle

Re: Table refurb progress - removing rust and cleaning bumpers!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
You might want to seriously consider the new, clear field trim upgrade.  You should be able to get that done for around $20 to $25 with shipping.  There are a few good reasons to make this upgrade.  Bank shooting and tic tacs off the wall will be MUCH improved and the table looks a lot better.  If you decide to do it, remove the existing strips prior to cleaning up the playing surface.   

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
I didn't replace the side trim, maybe if I somehow get a new playfield I'll do that - but this one is fairly bad around the goals etc. so not wanting spend a lot of money.  I got some new handles, finished cleanup and put it all together - not bad for less than $150 total investment.  In these shots you can also see the opening for the new ball return I made.  Bit of a hack job, but built it with the materials I had on hand and it works quite well! 

Kids are having a blast with it, as well as my wife and myself.  Good "tide me over" table until a good deal on a coin-op pops up.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 01:45:51 AM »
Great Job. Thanks for sharing. I could be wrong, but it looks like you might have mixed up your goalie rods and your 3 rods. The men should be spaced slightly farther apart on the goalie rod

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
Great Job. Thanks for sharing. I could be wrong, but it looks like you might have mixed up your goalie rods and your 3 rods. The men should be spaced slightly farther apart on the goalie rod

Cripes - you could be right!  I thought I was pretty careful to keep the "sticks in order" while I was working on everything but I will do some measuring and check on that.  Thanks for pointing that out!

-Lyle

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:19:18 PM »
Nice call clint1080 - you nailed it.  The bars were in the same order (I believe anyway) as I got them, but they were installed WRONG!  I have since removed all the guys and switched the bars.  Funny thing is now it seems much better for setting up pull shots - or at least more like I remember it!!

I owe you a beer!  Ever get to Sioux Falls SD let me know...  :)

-Lyle

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 12:24:20 AM »
That's great. I'm glad I could help. Now I wonder how many people got used to being able to block the goal with more than just that center man.