Foosball.com Forums

How much is my 1978 Tornado table worth?

How much is my 1978 Tornado table worth?
« on: October 22, 2014, 10:29:15 PM »
Hi All,
I have a 1978 Tornado table I want to sell, serial number 0129. It is a home version but from descriptions I've read it seems to have many of the characteristics of a coin operated model. It is very heavy, with a white marble laminate. The only blemish on it is one of the rods has some rust about the size of a quarter.

I have pictures but as I only joined just now I haven't figured out how to attach them, hopefully I'll get them here shortly. I live in the Dallas area if anyone is interested.

Brian

Re: How much is my 1978 Tornado table worth?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:59:29 PM »
Here is a link to the photos. The table does not have the yellow tint that the pictures have.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36141810@N05/sets/72157648913624091/

Brian

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
It is worth what somebody will pay for it.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 05:05:24 PM »
Thanks, that was incredibly helpful. I'll try to return the favor at some point.

In previous posts I have seen nothing about home model tables of this quality that are this old. It seemed possible that this table was rare and might be worth more than firewood kindling. I thought this forum was here for all things foosball and might actually be a community of liked minded people that would share thoughts and knowledge.  Is that the grand total of your knowledge on foosball tables?

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 08:14:18 PM »
Have patience skier.  You will certainly get your share of responses to your table.  It looks very unique and rare to me, but I am not the expert.  Those folks do answer posts like yours, but they are not on this site as often as they used to be.  Nice photos though...how does it play?

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
Thanks SilverSurfer,
It plays really well. Many of the comments I've read about home tables say the men don't stay up, that's not the case  with mine. In the mid 70's I played quite a lot on coin operated tables and I'd say mine plays like those tables.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
The condition looks excellent, and it has a famous name, so I would place a selling price of $400obo and see what happens...  beware that you might end up with a endless procession of tire kickers turned off by the two piece banked corners and the fact it is not even close to a modern style of Tornado.

I am not a appraiser, only someone who trolls the used market.  This table seems like it would fall in the above average price for home models due to it's brand name and vintage status.  The play-ability is likely to turn buyers off balancing the price with it's more modern peers.

Another angle might be to sell it to a prop store / for late 70's or 80's movie sets. 
It looks really cool... like it should have a Logan's run poster behind it!!!

http://moviecultists.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/logans-run-movie-poster.jpg
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:42:11 PM by johnwallan »

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
Thats quite the table. Seeing as its 0129 from 1978 its got antique unique status. I agree on the $400 but it could be worth a lot more to a passionate collector. As to upgrading, a little tinfoil and H2O on the rust, pickup some warrior foosmen on ebay for $30, + a little  elbow grease and 405 and that table will be as good as gold. There is a definite group that prefer the one man goalie, some people dont even care and thats the first tornado I have seen with 11men up, could be a selling point.
I got very little experience with Foosball though. Someone like BBTuna, grandmaster and such will most likely give you some good info.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 01:34:47 PM »
sweet table--- I think a friend of mine back in college had one very similar that we would play all the time. Maybe I'm old school but I like the banked corners just as much as the newer tornado types.

Not sure what it is worth but that is in fantastic condition. I would hold out for a proper offer (if you are still selling it).