Foosball.com Forums

Help finding people to play against in Dayton or Columbus Ohio.

Help finding people to play against in Dayton or Columbus Ohio.
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
I recently studied abroad in Germany and the foosball scene is very active over there. I fell in love with the game and bought a table from Craigslist once i got back.  I really enjoy playing and practicing but I can't find anyone to play against me.

I have done a lot of searching and cannot for the life of me find any active groups near me or any bars that host foosball events.

Does anyone know of some that I am missing?

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.

Re: Help finding people to play against in Dayton or Columbus Ohio.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
The dayton foosball facebook group has not accepted my friend request for several weeks now.  I see they are active because they posted new picture of some event recently but even after messaging them I am still waiting to be accepted.  Until then, I can't see all of their posts or events.

I have recently discovered the foosball subreddit www.reddit.com/r/foosball which is a pretty cool place but it is not incredibly active.

I might just try to start my own small foosball thing in the community too.  It all depends what I have time for.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 11:29:54 PM »
I did some detective work for you... those photos appear to be from Monty's on Montgomery.  North of Cincinnati.  If it's close to you, I would ask the bartender when they play ... Don't ask me how or why I figured this out;  I suppose I can relate to the Foosball addict looking for action. 

As far as starting a group goes, go for it.  Modern internet Social networking allows a niche sport like Foosball to have a new start by gathering like minded people quickly... Start a meetup.com group, Facebook page, tweet, etc...  The primary ingredients you will need is a decent public place to play, a few core regulars, a means of communication (texting or email or social networking) and a somewhat frequent schedule.  These are manageable road blocks not to be underestimated, however things can come together quite quickly if you get a critical mass who attend and keep it interesting with side events.  As an example I have a friend who started playing in his side yard near a bus stop and has gathered quite a few people.  To mix it up, he usually combines a birthday party, barbecue, or bon-fire, or some times it's just, Foosball Friday...  his is text message/cell phone# based and we RSVP back to let him know numbers.  On the business side of Foosball they call it "promotion", but it can be more natural that. 

From what I have seen, a huge number of people have played Foosball at some point, and certain personalities develop or continue a Foosball addiction quite easily.  Maybe it's just me, but I think the era of video games and constant TV watching has created its own void.  People are in front of screens and cell phones all day so tactile social activities seem to offer something real and different.  All you have to do is try to start something casual and accessible, others will come around.

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
Flyer,

You are in luck!  Foosball is alive and well just south of you in Cincinnati.  There are usually two tournaments, the first one starting at 7:00 PM virtually every Tuesday and Saturday night at Monty's on Montgomery.  The typical turnout is 3 to 7 teams and the format is usually DYP double elimination.  In addition, there are two other bars that have T-3000's, Hahana Beach and Million's Cafe.  The two tables at Hahana Beach were just placed there a couple of weeks ago, so the we don't know yet what the activity level will grow to there. 
  If you are interested, we expect 60 foosers this Sunday at Million's Cafe in Mt Lookout.  The first tournament starts at 11:00 AM and is a BYP with the entry fee at $20 per player & $10 per player for a ranking of novice & below.  You can look us up on facebook at Cincinnati Foosball for more details on all activities at all of these locations.  I live near King's Island and own a completely upgraded Tornado brown marble.  I do work in Dayton, but I don't have knowledge of any place with a public table in that city.  I think all of the competitive Dayton players make the drive down to Cincy to play.   I will hope to see you at Monty's soon.  - Chris M 

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »
Dayton Foosball is very active on facebook. Try David Policastro. PM me for his mobile number.