Foosball.com Forums

Highland Games brand? I can't find any ratings anywhere

Highland Games brand? I can't find any ratings anywhere
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
I have a lot of high schoolers coming for party in a couple of weeks & would like to find a decent foosball table without spending much.  There is a Highland Games table for sale on Craigslist for $100.  Certainly, a nice Carrom w a curved playing surface would be awesome...but...there are no used ones available in the vicinity I cannot justify spending $500+ at this time.  ANYWAY, does anyone have info in this company & the quality of their products?  Are they out of business, or is this a limited run product from a bigger company?  This is the link to the page:  http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/spo/4849046833.html

Re: Highland Games brand? I can't find any ratings anywhere
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »
Hey 2Bm,
glad you're thinking about foosball for the kids... 

I think most posters here would be suggesting low end shelti, tornado, or performance games offerings.  That table is likely fine for your use, but its hard to offer advice as it is in the constantly changing low end market and it is used.

You see the better tables are easier to recommend because they last, they foster the development of ball control, and they allow some mastery of the game.  If I were you, I would likely buy a Warrior. it is a good quality table intended for the home/family market; cheap parts...  Most would suggest it fits your requirement.  You will likely lose $100 on resale, but the kids will have a decent table for the duration. 

or you can likely sell this one for the same price you buy it...:
http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tag/4812859506.html

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »
Thank you for your quick & thoughtful reply.  That looks like a nice table, but the distance is an issue. 

How big of deal is it if the table is flat vs curved, & if there are 3 goalies vs 1?

This ad just popped up today.  It seems fishy to me since the location on the map is a residential neighborhood & the ad reads like a distributor.  But maybe this is common in arcade products?

What do you think?  :)
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tad/4852943335.html

Thanks again!

Offline Will17

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
Jump all over that deal. Warrior makes great tables, especially for your uses.

3 vs 1 man - personal preference. A lot of people (even some of the best players in the world) would have differing opinions on that. Overall you don't want a curved surface and almost anyone would agree on that. The Warrior table is a fantastic option for you.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
Hey 2Bm,

These Warrior ads currently appear in CL's almost everywhere in the country.  The company is currently pushing to sell as many units as they can in a short period of time.  They will ship to virtually any address in the country.  This will be a great option for you and your kids.  However, be prepared to pay at least $500 with shipping included.  If that is too expensive, then you will probably need to restrict your search to "lower end" tables only.  The only way to get a higher end table within your stated timeframe below that price point is to be very lucky.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:09:09 PM by SilverSurfer1 »

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
I'm assuming you're in or near Winston-Salem, NC.  If so, contact Charles MacIntosh of tornadofoosball.com.  He's just north of Greensboro and may be able to help you find something used.  More than likely, any Tornados he has will be out of your price range but it may be worth the effort since he is nearby.  You might try to lease one from him if you only want it for the party.  If he doesn't treat you right, let me know and I'll shame him next time I see him.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:52:25 AM »
How big of deal is it if the table is flat vs curved, & if there are 3 goalies vs 1?

-International competitions and certifications often insist on one man goalies with sloped corners... with beginners it is a non issue using either type; here most north americans like their texas 3 man goalie at the higher levels.  Really, it doesn't matter.

This ad just popped up today.  It seems fishy to me since the location on the map is a residential neighborhood & the ad reads like a distributor.  But maybe this is common in arcade products?

-Warrior is shameless and agressive as a marketing team... just like most serious foosball players.  I would contact them directly via their official website contact info, they usually have some kind of promotion if you are interested.

What do you think?  :)
http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/tad/4852943335.html

-I want a warrior but have no more room(s) :(  Warrior is by far a best value, best bang for buck in the midrange new table market.  Parts are cheap and good support.  Enhanced foot design, beginner high control ball, Supposedly has good back pin, bank shot characteristics, and sloped corners.  It is a table with spice relative to those in the low end market.

-I'd like to digress a bit.  The biggest challenges you are facing in the used low end market is if the playfields are flat and true when the table is properly leveled, if any of the rods are significantly bent, if the bushings are worn out, and if the figures are easy to break .  You see, a warped playfield can render a table worthless, rods can tripple the cost of your $50 table, bearings can be hard to source quickly if at all, broken figures tend to curtail the use of a table for long periods of time.

If I were set on a <$300 table I would be looking for someone who has an almost new table, its setup and leveled, and they are good with carefull inspection with a new ball.  Some people have a games room and are just selling a perfectly good low end table... this is a best case. 

Personally, I think all the hassle of finding, viewing, and moving a table has a dollar value. For me somewhere about $376.35.  Ha!... But seriously,  your table is competing with videogames, facebook, and netflix; it will take a good table to hold interest.

Maybe find something that looks good to resell, just to get you past the birthday party and then upgrade with a patient mind and educated approach.  Most posters will scowl at this... but maybe consider offering $175 for this harvard and flip it when you decide a warrior or tornado is more appropriate.  I've played on a harvard quite a bit and it will get you though a few parties.  Once someone really starts practicing on it is when its limitation will be revealed.  But hey, with a few shelti balls from this site you will have a stop gap solution.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/tag/4794687777.html