Foosball.com Forums

Help with Brown Marble Purchase

Help with Brown Marble Purchase
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:15:59 PM »
I'm looking for a table for my family and found the following brown marble coin-op. From what I've read, it appears to be an early to mid 90's model.  Is a table of this age still worth getting for recreational use?  Any idea what a fair price would be for both of us.  Thanks for any help.

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/spo/5139771000.html

Re: Help with Brown Marble Purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:32:32 PM »
The brown marble can be a fantastic great looking table.  In most cases you need to check the playfield, mdf, and laminate for swelling, damage, or separation around the playfield perimeter where it will influence the ball or have a history of exposure to fluids.  Most common is mdf swelling, goal post damage, separeting laminate.  Visually you can inspect around the goal mouth and acoustically you can tap a ball around the perimeter of the playfield listening for a snap sound. The rods are a bit pricy and may be bent and they tend to spot rust as well.  Both may sink the deal due to cost and/or time to repair.  Overall it is a great design but will likely have minor flaws due to its age; it is still being produced today.

The brown marble looks awesome and as a table for recreational use it is perfect if it is in fairly good condition.   I would suggest only that the tournament spec upgrades are expensive and puts you in a different price bracket. Full upgrade is unnecessary unless you are serious about competition.

Re: Help with Brown Marble Purchase
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:05:11 PM »
Thanks for the information. Haven't gone to look at it as it's about a 3 hour drive and I don't want to go unless I'm prepared to bring it home. Haven't found anything better - a storm 2 for the same price and some newer T-3000's for a lot more.