Foosball.com Forums

Never find the good deals

Never find the good deals
« on: August 29, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
I'm looking to buy my first foosball table. I've only played a few times just recently and I think it's a blast. I think my kids would really like it too. I've been looking on Craigs List and I'm just not seeing that much.  I had a chance to buy a Tornado Whirlwind for $275 and didn't. Since then very few Tornados for sale anywhere near me and certainly not at the great prices everyone on these boards seem to get them for. I've been checking CL for months with no luck. I never see any of the top brands except Warrior. On CL's throughout the U.S., you see adds selling used Warrior tables from tournaments but really I don't even want to pay that much. I was going to limit it to $200-300 but now I'm thinking of buying one of those Warrior ones. The shipping charge is what sucks. Will push it to over $500. Should I keep waiting on CL or just say screw it? 

Re: Never find the good deals
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
You know, buying a table is really about your goals and intentions with the sport.  To be brutally honest your not going to get much of a table for around $200.   Basically a disposable frustrating toy. There is a great variety of used 5/8" rod tables out there, and if you chuck some newer figures on some of them you can get something decent while you wait for a good table.

The warrior is a probably the best midrange table you can buy new for a few reasons; mainly parts, support, and a minimum tournament type feature set.  I would not buy anything else new.

For rough adults serious about really learning the sport and possibly competing, I'd recommend a decent used tornado, shelti, fireball, dynamo, or even tournament soccer.  As they come up, do your research on what each model is worth new, and it's feature set.  Counterbalanced modern figures and a flat playfield are probably the main constraints followed by intact side walls and goal posts, and a heavy cabinet.  Keep in mind repairs or upgrades can be expensive with a used table.

Everyone here is all about the split cabinet tornado coinop.  Hot cakes to buy but worth it...  Used they can be found for about $400 to $700usd in urban areas but may be damaged slightly driving up the real purchase cost.  The best situation is to search your local craigslist regularily and view/buy it asap.

I personally think buying a used foos table involves patience, opportunity, and a bit of luck.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
Thanks for replying. I was about to buy the Warrior Table when I coworker at first offered me her old one for free. The next day she looked online and saw some newer ones priced at $500 and is now having second thoughts but still willing to give it to me. Is this really worth much?  I know it's hard to tell but it's a 20+ year old Dynamo coin op. Don't know anything else about it. Err... Can't figure out how to post pics. Looks from my pics to be in decent shape.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:34:43 PM »
Stay away from the dynamo, I think you would be very disappointed in the way it plays. It's in no way worth anywhere close to $500. I bought my brown marble tornado coin-op for $250 from a local amusement vendor. Definitely check those out alot of times they have games sitting in a warehouse somewhere that need minor repair. Good luck and keep looking! Snake :)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:15 PM »
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying a Warrior. I'm very excited to get it. The guy from warrior told me to heat the return tubes and stretch it out before installing. Does that sound right?

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 01:30:09 AM »
I would definitely follow their advice; I have heard the return hoses to be a bit finicky, so yes, this makes sense. 

The warrior will definitely get you started with the game.  I personally find the yellow ball too slow and controlled so you might want to order a tornado 5hr ball from this site.  I would pickup foosball wraps as well; they augment the warrior plastic handles well.

Happy foosin!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »
Got my Warrior Table today!  A buddy helped me put it together. Was pretty easy overall. We both are beginners as beginners can be. Now, MANY times, the ball would just stop rolling and stuck between rods where none of the men could reach it. A real pain. The table seems very level. Now we both are terrible so I'm hoping this is due to the ball moving so slowly and pretty tacky. I'm going to order the balls Hackjob recommended and hope that helps.  My friend defeated me pretty easily. Warrior included some extra parts and through in a hat and shirt with the Warrior logo. Told my buddy when he shows up and I'm wearing that shirt he better bring his "A" game.

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:15 AM »
The dead ball happens on any table pro or consumer grade. Having the right ball makes it happen less. Good news, Warrior just released a speedier yellow ball, haven't tested it yet but it should be faster than the standard yellow ball. Tornado Red or Pink balls would do but yellow has a better color contrast with the warrior red and black players.

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »
Just a follow up on this. The friend who helped me put together my Warrior, then beat me every game, actually ended up taking that old Dynamo. I played him on it the other day. First off, Snake Eyes was right. I'm so glad I spent the money and got the Warrior. Just as satisfying was schooling my friend on his table. Now, if I can just beat my eldest daughter....