Foosball.com Forums

DIY Playing Surface

DIY Playing Surface
« on: November 17, 2015, 09:59:49 PM »
So earlier this week I picked up a harvard foosball table from the side of the road. There’s only one problem…. There was a large hole on the playing surface.  So I decided to try my hand at making my own playing field for a fun winter break project.  After watching some intense tourneys on YouTube I decided I didn’t want just any surface, but one that I could learn ball control and all sorts of fun stuff.  I realize that a harvard isn’t the best but I figured with an improved playing field and the rods oiled up it might be a decent table to mess around and learn on. After doing some research it seemed that many people recommend the cyclone II so I tried to find out what makes it so good.  I found a helpful article about a DIY foosball table that they tried to model after the cyclone II. Here’s what they said about the playing surface, “In order to closely reproduce the surface of a Tornado (which is non-smooth), our playfield is made of a base 3/4" inch particle board, a paper playfield, and then 1/8" Plexiglas roughed with 60-grit sandpaper, all sandwiched with a clear artists' spray mount adhesive. This gives it a nice, translucent look while giving the right texture for ball pinning.”  Does that sound like it would make for a good playing surface?  Any feedback or tips about building your own surface would be a help, thank you.

Re: DIY Playing Surface
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:14:10 AM »
  Does that sound like it would make for a good playing surface?  Any feedback or tips about building your own surface would be a help, thank you.

Sure, sounds like it's worth a try. And if it doesn't work you are only out about $20.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:24:37 PM »
Thank you for the reassurance kgstewar. I'll be sure to post how it turns out

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:06:11 PM »
Harvards are pretty common craigslist table and/or back alley free table... not worth the effort as they have pretty fragile components.

I would suggest you can save your time and just find another one for about $50 used for all its parts, however the playfields are not very stable over time.  A friend of mine reinforced his with 1" mdf glued below and it worked out as a net positive but the table is still quite awkward for a number of reasons.

A cabinet maker / wood worker type can likely make you something very similar to a tornado/shelti/fireball using 1" mdf, contact cement, and dark green textured formica (without paint lines).  (Beginner / harvard players don't really use the lines anyway).  Just make sure the bar to playfield distance remains the same or it will have awkard release and pinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bmx2tVWQiE

HJ

shameless promotion:
Vancouver Foosball - Vancity Foosball
http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Foosball