Foosball.com Forums

New Table Build - Parts - Info Appreciated

Re: New Table Build - Parts - Info Appreciated
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 12:51:55 PM »
Just out of curiosity, have you received the 9/16" rods yet? I'm still baffled by the 5/8 vs 9/16 issue. My coin-op has 5/8, and the modern t-3000 men fit perfectly. If the tornado rods are really 9/16, it seems the 1/16" difference would translate into loose men and other issues. Very strange.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 01:28:11 PM »
haha, Yup, you're right, just measured them, same dimension, .625.  But they are advertised as 9/16" rod and the split bearings fit fine, WTH?

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 02:54:28 PM »
haha, Yup, you're right, just measured them, same dimension, .625.  But they are advertised as 9/16" rod and the split bearings fit fine, WTH?

The internet contains erroneous info? Oh no...  :)

I suspect the bearings have a little more leeway in their fit than the men would. You definitely would have discovered the problem when you were trying to slide a man with a 9/16" hole onto a 5/8" rod!

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
On your table, would you mind measuring the bottom of the player foot, when in the vertical position, to the top of table?

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 03:14:39 PM »
Sure, I'll do it tonight when I get home.

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 08:31:57 PM »
0.214" give or take 0.001" :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:33:56 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
Thanks!

Well, change of plans, I took apart the clamps, etc. and discovered a slight tear in the play field surface, crap.
Not impressed with the play surface material or masonite / MDF backer anyway. Too difficult to keep level long term.

Going with 3/8" aluminum plate as the base surface, wrapped with a custom printed vinyl play field.  Aluminum plate will be perfectly flat and will not deflect. The wrap will be slightly textured and durable.

Back up, re-evaluate, move ahead! haha

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »
Project update. Got my plate aluminum, and of course it had a 3/8" dead center bow in it. Crap, had to drill and tap a 1/4" x 20 in the center and use it pull down on the plate to make it flat.  I then decided to make a "free floating" play field which will be independent of the play field frame.  This will allow the owner to easily adjust the height and level of the table, replace the wrap or field without being limited to a permanently attached field.

Anyway a few pics;

protoype player drawing;

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:43:19 PM by FabMan »

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Looks like it's going to be pretty amazing table.

Will you be powder coating or paint in the table?

Any updates?

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 06:36:07 PM »
Thanks!

At this point, customer is asking for a chemical faux patina finish like FX or sculpt nouveau products. So, I have to get all the mill scale off the steel for the chemical to affect the steel evenly, etc.  I've already acid cleaned some parts but not the main channel steel yet.

I should get the play field channel back from the water jet cutter tomorrow and I'll mock up the table, rods, etc. to make sure dimensions and cuts were correct. Had to have 1 1/4" spacers cut to hold the rod bearings since the bearings are 1 1/2" wide and the web of the channel is only 1/4".  Had them cut 3" diameter to look like hex nuts. Took 4 hours on the water jet cutter to cut 16) 1 1/4" thick spacers, ouch. Have to weld them on eventually.

Prototype player is still work in progress. Last cut had the player at 55 grams without the counterbalance head (nut). They may end up a little heavier than regulation players.

Anyway, will post up some pics this weekend, should get a lot done I hope.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 12:50:46 AM »
Thanks!

At this point, customer is asking for a chemical faux patina finish like FX or sculpt nouveau products. So, I have to get all the mill scale off the steel for the chemical to affect the steel evenly, etc.  I've already acid cleaned some parts but not the main channe

It's going to look amazing. I looked up the chemicals/finish you'll be using, this will make the table really unique. Do you use clearcoat afterwards?

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 09:25:47 AM »
Thanks, I hope it turns out the way I visualize it. There are a few things I'd do differently but the owner has the final say.  Yes, I'll probably spray a light matte finish lacquer over the frames when completed.

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 09:35:07 AM »
Picked up the play field frame channel from the water jet cutter yesterday;

Spacer "nut" for the rod bearings. Will be welded to the web of the channel to get the 1 1/2" bearing length needed. I will chamfer the corners and sand before welding to the channel.

Prototype player without "nut" counterbalance head;

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 04:54:08 PM »
Very cool, thanks for the pictures. Fun to see this coming along.

Question: How much will each man weigh when finished? Being made of steel, I can imagine that the five-bar when fully populated will be pretty heavy. Are you concerned that the weight of the men will require a lot of torque from the player's wrist to execute quick shots and passes?

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 10:40:30 AM »
Or maybe they are aluminum, in which case weight is a non-issue.