Foosball.com Forums

Replacing top laminate strip

Replacing top laminate strip
« on: September 11, 2016, 09:11:54 PM »
Does anyone have a quick how to on replacing the top piece of laminate above the rods? I was not really wanting to use a router. I was hoping there was a smaller hand tool. TIA!!!!

Re: Replacing top laminate strip
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:00 PM »
I've never done this but I'd try a heat gun with one of those attachments that focuses the heat to a small area. Go slow, don't overheat, and try to get a putty knife under it. Once off sand smooth or use acetone to remove old adhesive.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »
kg has the first part right.  After removing old laminate strip and sanding smooth you will need to buy  the replacement laminate strip.  There are web sites that sell the custom laminate section you need.  The section will be the exact length that you need, but the width will require cutting.  The next step is the key.  You must use a router with a flush cut bit!  Any other cutting tool will not work because it will chip the edges as you try to cut.  The correct method is to brush a thin layer of contact cement on both the exposed MDF on top of the table and the underside of the laminate.  Let the cement dry until it feels tacky, but not wet.  Next, place 4 to 5 pencils perpendicular to the top rail and evenly spaced.  This will allow you to carefully place the leading edge of the laminate flush to the existing laminate while keeping the rest of the strip away from the tacky MDF.  The laminate will bond instantly with the MDF as soon as the sides touch!! Take you time and pull each pencil out in succession.  Press the laminate firmly along it's length to insure that no air is caught between the MDF and the laminate.  You can use the router and bit to trim the overhang to flush.  This is actually the easiest part!  The final step is to file down the sharp edges until you match the existing table top edges.  Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 02:01:14 AM »
Thanks SilverSurfer1, I was actually going to take a laminate strip that I have off another table that needs to be re-glued and trace it on to the new one. Then form to fit. Good idea or no? But also do as you said with a router.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
Thanks SilverSurfer1, I was actually going to take a laminate strip that I have off another table that needs to be re-glued and trace it on to the new one. Then form to fit. Good idea or no? But also do as you said with a router.
You can use the other piece to get a rough idea of the size you need but better to make the new piece oversized. That way you don't need to have it exactly lined up when you attach it and you want some excess so that the flush-cutting router bit can make it perfect.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:03:04 AM by kgstewar »