Foosball.com Forums

Need your feedback on used Tornado Coin up (cherry) - pics included

Hi,

I'm a complete Foosball newb, I wanted to add one to my gameroom and I did some research and the Tornado Coin up was the one that came the most recommended. I wanted a good one so that I would have a table I good grow on, as well as a table that local enthusiasts could enjoy if I hold some tournaments.

I ended up finding one about a two hour drive away, I'm attaching the pictures and was hoping to have some feedback. They are asking what seems to be a very reasonable price of $500CAD (375USD).

The one thing that the seller mentioned was first the tape on the side of the table, I know now it's called a side strip, to me it looks like the play surface is damaged under the strip but others have told me that is what it is supposed to look like, can someone please confirm.

The other thing mentioned was that one of the walls has a dead spot  I was told that the only thing that when u pass from 5 to 3 .. instead of tabbing the wall once u have to do it twice. Does this matter? Will I regret it if I improve, or will better players not want to use it? Is a wall easily replaceable?

I've attached pictures and would really appreciate your feedback.

Oh and will a Tornado easily fit in a Dodge Grand Caravan? If not, could I just remove the legs? Not sure what is the best way to go about this.

http://m.imgur.com/337VcCO,SyRzLtM,RW0uw1D,0XfGDki,MqqWv2T

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 09:41:38 AM by rockstead »

Re: Need your feedback on used Tornado Coin up (cherry) - pics included
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:52 PM »
From the picture it looks like the side strip is missing...easily replaced and i think can be bought on this site. The price seems reasonable for a good condition table...the pic posted is not enough to offer an opinion on condition. You should be able to locate some old threads discussing how to asses table condition.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 05:54:55 PM »
From the picture it looks like the side strip is missing...easily replaced and i think can be bought on this site. The price seems reasonable for a good condition table...the pic posted is not enough to offer an opinion on condition. You should be able to locate some old threads discussing how to asses table condition.

What's your opinion of a dead spot I mentioned? Is that of concern? Is a sidewall just a part I can replace?

I think it was mentioned to me that side strips used to be white and now they are clear, perhaps that is why it looks like that because the side strips on are currently clear?

Thanks,
Mark

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
It looks like a sloppy side strip upgrade. Yes, the new ones are clear.

Sidewalls are not really replaceable, it's the entire side of the cabinet... Same with the back walls (by the goal). Are you sure the side wall is dead and it's not just a dead man?

-p

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
It looks like a sloppy side strip upgrade. Yes, the new ones are clear.

Sidewalls are not really replaceable, it's the entire side of the cabinet... Same with the back walls (by the goal). Are you sure the side wall is dead and it's not just a dead man?

-p

Do you think I can fix the side strip so it looks nicer? Looks like the previous sticker ripped the play surface off if im interpreting the picture correctly.

Well this is what was said about the wall, it doesn't mean much to me, I'm really new at this.

"When you pass from 5 to 3, instead of tabbing the wall once, you will have to do it twice."

And another person familiar with the table said

"one of the walls might be a little dead, but in the spot that Is mentioned, it's not really a concern (ball will just lose acceleration if you you're bouncing it off the very back corners).

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
A few things:

A cherry coin-op in good condition is a good buy at $375 US.

Can't tell much from that one picture but it looks like someone pulled up the sidestrip and the old adhesive remained. If that's the case, you can clean up the old adhesive with rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease. You can then buy some new clear side strips for about $20. Here's how to replace them: http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=5175.msg23356#msg23356

The "dead spot". Not sure what to make of this but what I would worry about is water damage. The cabinet is made of MDF which soaks up water like a sponge and then swells, permanently. If you get more pictures, look for any evidence of bulging or waviness in the sidewalls and end walls, or any laminate that seems to be separating. If present, it's a deal killer, in my opinion. I'd get a lot more pictures.`

And it will definitely fit into a Dodge Grand Caravan. Here's how to do a complete breakdown, but you probably won't need to do this much. http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=4766.msg21449#msg21449
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:43:13 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 03:37:20 PM »
A few things:

A cherry coin-op in good condition is a good buy at $375 US.

Can't tell much from that one picture but it looks like someone pulled up the sidestrip and the old adhesive remained. If that's the case, you can clean up the old adhesive with rubbing alcohol and some elbow grease. You can then buy some new clear side strips for about $20. Here's how to replace them: http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=5175.msg23356#msg23356

The "dead spot". Not sure what to make of this but what I would worry about is water damage. The cabinet is made of MDF which soaks up water like a sponge and then swells, permanently. If you get more pictures, look for any evidence of bulging or waviness in the sidewalls and end walls, or any laminate that seems to be separating. If present, it's a deal killer, in my opinion. I'd get a lot more pictures.`

And it will definitely fit into a Dodge Grand Caravan. Here's how to do a complete breakdown, but you probably won't need to do this much. http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=4766.msg21449#msg21449

I haven't received more pictures yet but I've been assured there is no waterdamage, but I haven't been given an explanation as to how there could be a dead spot if it isn't water damaged.

I was told the following from someone familiar with the table

"we're talking about maybe a 1 inch area on the wall nearest one of the goalies possibly being dead, it's a super minor concern. I mean at the price you're paying it is a hell of a steal for that kind of a table.

You guys will hardly notice it, and for all you know, putting it on a different surface, re-leveling it (the legs have adjustable casters) might resolve the issue."

I'm the type of person that wants to believe people and the person selling it and the people that used the table are all competitive players, but it's a little worrisome from my perspective, I'm told it shouldn't be. I do have a hard time understanding how it could be a leveling issue, I mean any professional player would ensure the table is  leveled properly, right?

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
I just changed my side strips from the original white ones to the new. lower profile, clear ones.  It looks to me that they 1. didn't clean off the old adhesive and 2. didn't take care and put the new strip down evenly and with pressure.  Either way you can by new ones for like $15 and rip those up.

What he might mean by a "dead spot" could be the difference of thickness between the old white strips and the new clear ones.  With the old white ones, the ball just rolls right off because it's higher.  With the clear ones, the ball sometimes stays close to the wall and doesn't roll away as easy.

Just my $0.02

D. 

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 07:43:57 AM »
I'd have him take some pictures of the "dead spot" area. I realize he's probably grabbing at straws, but I can't see how an out-of-level table would create a 1"-long dead spot. I like Pedleboy's idea: the side strips look pretty messy and if they flubbed a 1" segment of it that may have created their dead spot. In any case, just have him snap a couple of photos of the problem area. That takes a lot less time than you driving 200 miles.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 08:33:39 AM »
At first it was a dead spot at 5 bar and then a dead spot on end wall?

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »
Hadn't noticed that the location of the dead spot was moving - good catch bolt115. If these guys don't send you a bunch of pics that really shows the condition of the table, I'd walk away. Something seems fishy. Taking pictures with a phone and sending them is trivial. What's preventing them from doing it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:41:57 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
I like the theory on the side strip.

Here are several more pictures, it looks to be in great shape.

http://m.imgur.com/exBAnjP,Owse716,e90TZtP,cZcZUXQ,BMHfVi1,WrTk06K,CVS9lO8,5vNzxRp

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 11:51:52 AM »
The only mark I can see is this one, it doesn't look like water damage because you would think if it were, then the Tornado serial # would be peeling off. Looks like maybe a sticker was ripped off, I don't know.

Is that something that can be touched up? Or would it worry you?

http://m.imgur.com/csoaRRt

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 06:47:18 PM »
Ok so that's water damage in that back corner on the playfield,, if it we're me I would move on to the next table. That doesn't just peel off the back wall by the tornado mfg label. That's my opinion. Snake

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »
Ok so that's water damage in that back corner on the playfield,, if it we're me I woulibsiisd move on to the next table. That doesn't just peel off the back wall by the tornado mfg label. That's my opinion. Snake

I think you just saved me 4 hours of driving, I kept letting little things slide, but to be honest, the seller only showed me those pictures today after I insisted in seeing all the angles that I had not been shown and his response was that he honestly never noticed it before.

I was even going to let that ripped sticker slide but I think I'll walk, it might still be worth it at the price range but factor in whatever the dead spot is and I'm not sure it's worth it.