Foosball.com Forums

First Generation Tornado

First Generation Tornado
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »
Hello.  This is my first post, so forgive me if it does not post correctly.

I just picked up a first generation Tornado foosball table.  I wanted to share some pictures, and solicit input on the history of the table.

I know it is first gen because of the "D" Tornado logo.  It has a green marble exterior, which is also covering the legs.  There are blocks in the corners of the playing field.  It has a one man goalie and the original men are black and green.  Unfortunately, some of them have been replaced.  There are also triangular cut outs next to the score mechanism.  This score mech has obviously been replaced, but I'd love to know what it had originally. 

The serial number tag states "Bob Hayes Sports Systems, Inc.  Suite 333, 6008 Ridgecrest, Dallas, Texas 75231 SERIAL NO H105"

I have not found anything similar on the web.  Does anyone know anything about this table, or have any pictures of the same table to share?

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.  Let me know if you have any questions.

I cant figure out how to load pictures, but I can if someone can tell me how.

Thanks,
Gary

Re: First Generation Tornado
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 07:35:44 PM »
I'll try Photobucket to add pictures:

Here is the table (sorry about the poor photo).  Note the angled corners.

Here is the great Dallas Tornado logo:

The playing surface:

The green marble:

The goal showing the angled corners and the triangular cut-outs in the scoring area:

And the serial number tag:

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »
Hey all, I thought I'd find some players here because I can not find any good competition. I have my own table, no idea the model etc and don't really care. Its the old bar style with one man at goaly and slanted corners. I was interested in finding competition, maybe some tournaments not rebuilding tables. Mine's ready to go.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »
Where are you located at?

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »
Hello. I'm not really sure what your plan is for this table.

Would you be interested in selling the older black/green men?

I tried to PM you but it would not go through. Feel free to PM me.

Let me know

-cofoosn

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
Chaggy31 - I am in Colorado

cofoosn - I would like to refurbish this table, and would actually be interested in purchasing back and green men myself.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
Good luck on your refurb!! I'd like to some pics of it when you are done!

-p

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 07:07:00 PM »
I would like to see some pictures of another one, I have not been able to find any to guide me on the refurb.

How rare is this table?  Has anyone seen another one?

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Nice find.  Bob Furr would be the one to tell you about the history of that particular table.  He use to be active on facebook but doesn't look like he is any longer.

There is a guy whose name escapes me around New Orleans that sold vintage parts a while back. If I find any contact info I'll let you know. Those triangles were for the ashtray that was shape to fit inside the hole.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
Lott probably knows a little about that table?

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
Thanks for the info EDGEER.  I would have never guessed that those triangular cutouts were for ash trays.  How times have changed.

I don't know who Lott is, but perhaps he will read this post and can provide some additional info.

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »
Hi Flash,

I have the same table except it's a home model rather than a bar model.  I bought it in Dallas Tx in 1977.  I replaced the men with black and yellow ones in the mid 90's.  The original ones were brown and cream but were feeling kind of dead during play, the new ones are much better.  I've never seen another one like it until I saw your post.  I've also wondered for a long time about the logo having a D instead of a T.  It's very unique.  Below are copy of a emails I received from the Tornado company from 2010.

Hello … my name is Dave Courington and I have been involved with Tornado foosball since 1974. Your time frame below seems to be correct for the logo on your table. Lamar Hunt owned the Dallas Tornados and after three approached Bob Hayes and Bob Furr, the original Tornado owners, and told them they could no longer use HIS logo. So the current letter T appeared and it has basically be the same since. Your table has some aftermarket laminate. White marble, Blue and Orange, and butcher block were common home laminates at that time. The coin tables were blue and orange. Do you still have the original men???
Enjoy your table … I am sure it can be passed down to your children as well … we do build a strong table.
Dave

AND ANOTHER REPLY

Eric,
          I saw my first Tornado foosball table in 1978 and have seen plenty of coin ops from that era bearing the first generation logo…but few if any home models….. as the one you have.  Your table was manufactured by Bob Hayes Sports Systems in Dallas sometime in 1973-74…..  Bob Hayes with Bob Furr (his engineer) designed and introduced the Tornado foosball table.  Yours in likely one of the first group of home tables made during that era.  The “D” does represent Dallas…..and the connection with the “Dallas Tornado” pro soccer team of that era was intentional as foosball is of course…..Table Soccer.  When Hayes sold the company to Ed McCloud in 1977…..he renamed it Tornado Table Soccer.  Ed held the company, and was responsible for all the later design changes (split bearings (’81), man design (‘86), bumpers (‘86), three man goalie (’81), ball (‘91)….just to name a few) that were implemented until he sold it to Valley Recreational Products in 1993.  One key element of almost all design changes ever made….even to date….is the ability to retro-fit to previous models.

Having been a Tornado table vendor and tournament promoter for over 30 years I personally know these facts.  I knew, and for a time worked for Ed McCloud as Tornado factory operations manager in the late 80’s before returning to my own dealership in NC in 1989.  I never got to meet Bob Hayes who…but have met his son Brad, who serves in Romania as a Christian missionary to orphans there.  We continue to correspond to this day.  In the last few years I have also gotten to know Bob Furr as well…who truly deserves most the credit for the original Tornado table…..   Today he is a grandfatherly type….and still lives in the DFW area.

Yours in fooz,

Charles Mackintosh
TornadoFoosball.Com, Inc.
336-210-1194
Logo 5

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 05:56:59 AM »
This is an intriguing thread and I just can't resist commenting.

I've been playing this game since 1972 and these pictures of this old table have brought back some memories. Back in the early 70's most foosball tables were lightweight by today's standards and Tornado changed all that. I saw my first Tornado in Arlington, Texas sometime around 1974/75 and it was so different from everything else out there I could hardly believe it. Massive by comparison. All the professional quality brand tables today are heavy and sturdy because of the standard set by Tornado back in the day.

Thanks for the pictures, Flash, and the historical information from all you other knowledgeable commenters on this thread. I hope you are able to restore this table to completely original condition. Good Luck!

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »
Thanks for the info, ehobie and Buckshot.  These do appear to be very rare tables.  So rare that it is difficult to find parts.  If anyone has parts available, please let me know.  Or, I may be interested in selling it.

Gary
gary-fletcher@msn.com

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:05 AM »
Flash,
I contacted Tornado Foosball about parts for old table like ours. This is there reply.

My Question:

[/size]I have a very old Tornado table.  It's a home model made in the mid 70s.  It has a "D" in the logo rather than a "T".  I've considered refurbishing this table. [/color][/size] Are parts available for this table, such as rods and bears.   
Their Reply:
The men, rods, handles and bumpers for Tornado tables will fit your table and the roll pins will replace the nuts that hold your players and handles on.  The bearings for Tornado tables won't fit your table.  No original parts are available.
[/color]