Foosball.com Forums

Grey Marble –––––––> T-3000 Upgrade Kit

Grey Marble –––––––> T-3000 Upgrade Kit
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »
Its been a while since I visited this board. I finally decided to pull the trigger on the full upgrade kit for my grey marble. I really wanted to sell it and get a platinum tour edition T-3000 but its hard to justify the cost since I don't get out to play competitively any more (or rarely). So I bought the full kit from Charles - bearings, men, side strips, handles etc. Is anyone aware of a thread that someone has taken the time to post describing their upgrade process and possible tips. I did a quick search of the site but came up empty. It's not like its rocket science but any tips or tricks to avoid potential pitfalls and problems would be appreciated.

Re: Grey Marble –––––––> T-3000 Upgrade Kit
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »
My 2c experience...  mount new handles first before remove replace men, careful with punch not to hit play-field when pin and punch releases and shoots out, lots of lube to remove men,  debur/file rod holes smooth before mounting new men, new men bind a bit when mounting so use lots of lube in figure and on rod, and a rubber mallet on the smiley head while push twisting them on or off, double check and consider correct orientation before mounting men, sidestrips are tricky, use a almost parallel angle and thin edged putty knife or razor scraper to lift off from under the strip gently, be patient and shave/cut strip not playfield,  to soften glue I used goo gone but later swithed to superlube teflon lube to soak a bit and a rough cotton sock to work snotty glue off gently, wd40 or teflon spray or mr wrench might work but be quick with it as the carrier solvent or oil may not like formica/playfield , clean playfield with 409 immediately after so no oils or dust for new strip, measure strip is ok length before removing sticker backing and mounting from one end toward other, new forward 3 bar is a must as glide is awesome / new rods scrape slightly till they smooth out, 2bar is good to change too, other bars can change later and you probably will want to.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:55:06 PM by hackjob »

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:10:47 PM »
Thank you hack job. Exactly the feedback I was hoping to get.  Much appreciated.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
Hackjob are you saying I should change my merkels for new rods? Blasphemy!! Lol. No seriously are the new rods sized slightly different to work better with the new bushings? My merkels are still in good shape, straight etc.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:59:12 AM »
The glide is a bit different I'd wager due to the rod finish;  I don't have merkels and never tried em so I'm not qualified to comment on if it is a necessary swap for competition...

I'm assuming merkels have the chrome finish which has a heavier drag overall and the silicone lubricant slides off more quickly.  If you don't compete it makes no practical difference...  I think rod finish is a subtle feel thing like changing the steering wheel in your car.  It feels strange, and a little bit off.