Foosball.com Forums

Garlando G-5000 - a worthy alternative to my dream table?

Garlando G-5000 - a worthy alternative to my dream table?
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:35:25 AM »
Let me start by saying that my dream table is a Bonzini B90 - I REALLY want one!  I just don't think I can put the scratch together for one.

I have 3 small(ish) kids (2,6,8) and want a table the whole family can play safely on rather than always worrying that someone is going to lose an eye.  So the telescoping rods are a must for me.  I absolutely love everything about the Bonzini B90...the retro looking metal goals, red trim, blue legs, the painted players, and the one-piece sloped corner playfield.

The Garlando G-5000 offers some of the things I love, just not as much, at about 1/2 the price.  The black "G-5000 Evolution" is probably the way I'd go to get the more traditional blue and red players...perhaps the brown and cream players on the other models would grow on me, though.  They seem to be available new for around $1250ish.

The Garlando G-500 is available for about $400 less than the G-5000, but doesn't seem to come with leg levelers and doesn't have the WAF (wife acceptance factor) as much as the G-5000.

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere around here that I can play the tables so I'm looking for some advice here from folks that have played the Garlando G-5000 - if you've also played the Bonzini B90, I'd love your thoughts on the 2 tables.  I realize that both tables are a very different playing experience compared to 95% of tables in the US (Tornado style) - that is also something I like about them.

Sorry for the long post - I'm just looking for some advice from folks that are more knowledgeable and experienced than I am.  Thanks in advance!

Re: Garlando G-5000 - a worthy alternative to my dream table?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »
Garlando G-5000 plays a lot like the Garlando WC. You can play a tournament style game on one:

- Brush, stick, and chip passes work
- Tic tacs, pull / drag shots / Pin shots / Snake all work

Differences with a Bonzini:

- Way less grippy. A Bonzini is a pin oriented game, and while you can pin on a Garlando, the grip and control are nowhere near the same
- The rods on a Garlando are much, much lighter. Snaking is king on a Garlando, whereas it's harder to snake on a Bonzini. Because of the iron cast men on Bonzini, the rods are very, very heavy.
- The ball rolls much faster on a Garlando. Bonzini is more controlled.
- The Bonzini cabinet is much sturdier than a G-5000

In the grand scheme of foosball tables, these two play like polar opposites almost.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:49:36 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and insightful response, Sam - I truly appreciate it!  Reading it makes me want the Bonzini - I'm afraid if I got the Garlando I'd always wonder what it would have been like to own the Bonzini.  First world problems, no doubt!  Hmmmmm...

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:10:13 PM »
Why not just buy a Tornado and get these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMiuxPDtnQ I have them and now dont have to worry about my kids. Not to mention that you would be playing on a table that you can get for $400-500.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 06:32:28 PM »
Why not just buy a Tornado and get these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BMiuxPDtnQ I have them and now dont have to worry about my kids. Not to mention that you would be playing on a table that you can get for $400-500.
It seems that is what most people have told me - get a Tornado or Warrior w/ those protective tubes.  Makes the most logical and financial sense for sure since they're the most common / respected tables here in the US.  However, I don't really care for the look of the tube protectors and I'd prefer a different style table.

I can't seem to shake the Bonzini table from my mind - several times now I've been super close to just pulling the trigger on the Garlando G-5000, but I just can't seem to do it.  Bonzini on the brain...

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:03:57 PM »
This probably won't help, but...... I own a Bonzini B60 and a Tornado coin-op. Whenever people come over to play, they choose the Bonzini 90% of the time.

Offline Pat

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 02:53:50 AM »
If you want a European table, you should get a Leonhart.  Excellent build quality (better than Tornado), precise play, and it doesn't feel like a toy.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:50:33 AM »
jdlivestrong, if you've got an itch, scratch it. Get the Bonzini!

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 10:26:54 PM »
If you want a European table, you should get a Leonhart.  Excellent build quality (better than Tornado), precise play, and it doesn't feel like a toy.
In general, I'm a fan of German made stuff, but I don't think they offer a great telescoping option.  I did look at Leonhart, though!

This probably won't help, but...... I own a Bonzini B60 and a Tornado coin-op. Whenever people come over to play, they choose the Bonzini 90% of the time.
Hahaha - you're right, that's not helpful...to my pocket book :D

jdlivestrong, if you've got an itch, scratch it. Get the Bonzini!
...nor is that :D

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:57:06 PM »
If you go for the Garlando, you should do the same upgrade that I did !  (g-5000 is basically the same as the g-2000 outdoor that I bought)

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=6173.0