Foosball.com Forums

Sprayed pull kick defense

Sprayed pull kick defense
« on: January 30, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
 So, I bought a tornado coin op a while back from a retired pro.  I've got him playing after a seven year hiatus.  took him five minutes to get his timing back.   lol. We play for about ten hours once a  week.  He finally showed me his main shot after weeks of playing and it's been months now and he still gets me about ninety percent.  it's so fast I thought it was a pull shot until he showed me.  even knowing where it's coming from  now I can't see it so it's really hard to consistently block.  any tips to up my defense?

Re: Sprayed pull kick defense
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
Alright guys...He's coming back on Sat, you need to help me out here. Don't go leaving me in the trenches. Lol

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
If it's Jeep, just give up now.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
If it is I didn't know that nickname. It's Jay Zopfi. Regardless, this shot is ***ing unstoppable. I seriously cant see the ball after take off. Like I said, I thought it was a pullshot until he slowed it down and showed me how. I can do it at like tenth the speed and I'm not a bad shot. Lol. I've beaten him once or twice in the umpteen games we've played. But then again so has my girlfriend. I know he plays slower with her so chances are he does the same with me. Used to play the hustle, so I don't know how good he actually is. Lol.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
Nope.Not jeep.

So...back to the problem at hand. Tips for blocking a Nasty, let me rephrase, Vile sprayed pullkick. He's pulling from the far limit of the middle three rod and spraying it back with the near man (31?) He seems to be able to split it and hit it anywhere. I've gotten better at catching his dinks and short pulls, but aside from bait and blocking those, if he actually pulls out the big gun, I can only block 10% of the time at best. Any help would be appreciated. Mace maybe? No, he can do it while looking away (he got me with that once or twice.) Help?

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence Papafoos! Lol

Offline Will17

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »
If he is shooting it with his nearest man to himself on the 3 bar it should be pretty simple to block, assuming you can tell when the shot is coming. If you are using your goalie and near 2 man so then he can split you, so instead of that use the far man on your 2 row to make the block. When the shot is coming, put your 2 bar man in front of his 31(nearest to himself on his 3 row) man.

Just put your 2 bar toe forward pointed at him and it will cut down the angle to the net so that he wouldn't be able to hit it past you. I use the same strategy for blocking a slingshot of the near wall, because that 2 bar man cuts down the angle so well.

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 11:21:17 PM »
Lol. I really wish you lived close enough to come join our Sat game. I want you to know the destruction that is Jay's pull kick. I, no lie, thought its was a pull shot for weeks. You dont see it after take off from standard pull shot starting position. It either gets stopped or crashes like thunder into thine goal. LOL.

But to your advice: Wouldn't pointing the two man forward open the split more? I've had some, albeit not much, but I've had some luck with goalie forward and two pointed back to lessen the split. I will definitely try pointing the two man forward, I'm just curious as to why? Or how it'd lessen the split. Trying to see it to get in the way is pretty much out of the question, so I need to figure something out. I beat most opponents, which is't saying much as the scene around here is a joke, but I've beaten him twice out of 100 plus games played. On top of that, I think he goes easy on us. WTF. :) So I need to devise a better method of blocking him and retaining possession so it doesn't just start all over again. lol

Help

Offline Will17

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:34:53 PM »
If you have the 2 bar pointed forward towards the release point of where his shot comes from, it doesn't matter what angle he tries to put on it. You need to know where the release point is, and then time his shot based on how he sets it up and patterns in his own mind. Find a way to make it look open and bait him into shooting when you want him to shoot. But then you need to get the timing right and put your 2 bar right at his release point so he shoots into it. Get a video of a match and put it on youtube.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »
I've beaten him aman'stimes now by playing more roller ball style so I can get his goal before he has time to prep his defense, but if he gets it on the three bar he's still hitting it probably at seventy percent. It's killer. I'll try on the video, but I don't have a foos cam and he picked on me endlessly for asking the board.  "In my day we just went out and played more to get better defense. " lol

Is not a huge deal as is a friendly game and we've been getting exponentially better getting our asses stomped each week.  But to put it in perspective, has anyone used the foostrain trainer thing?  I just got it to improve practice regiment.  He tried it last weekend.  Keep in mind, his main shot is a pullkick, not a pullshot, and even tho he complained about the drag from the spring effecting his timing, it took him ten minutes Max to beat level 13, consistently,with a pullshot. His shot is tighter than a straight man's sphincter in a SoCal dance club.  Hahaha.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
I've beaten him a few* times now. Sorry.  Auto correct on a new phone. 

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »
An option when defending a pull kick is to defend the middle plastic player instead of the ball.  You have to be careful of quick angles, short pulls from the far side and dink shots, but if you can hold your position against the middle plastic player with your far 2 bar defender you can stop a quick pull kick.   Basically you know where the shot is going with a pull kick shot, the shot is going where  the middle plastic player is located.   Position your defender at that point and watch out for dinks, angles and short pulls from the outside.