Foosball.com Forums

I need your feedback on buying used 30th anniversary edition Tornado

I’m trying to buy my first Foosball table, I know Tornado coin-is is the one to look for, I’m not desperate to buy one and I don’t have a set budget. Based on the images in the link below, would this table be a good buy (regardless if it were for someone new or not)?

The seller wants around $400USD.

https://imgur.com/a/UP1aC

Re: I need your feedback on buying used 30th anniversary edition Tornado
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
Looks like a deal to me.  Check the things that might make it unusable.  Is the playing field warped?  Is the table sturdy?  You can add new edges pretty easily.  Has the surface been destroyed somehow?

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
Looks like a deal to me.  Check the things that might make it unusable.  Is the playing field warped?  Is the table sturdy?  You can add new edges pretty easily.  Has the surface been destroyed somehow?

Is there anything specific about the 30th anniversary edition that makes it a good buy? It would be my first table and really I would be starting as a really amateur player, is it easy to look for the problems you mentioned, I don’t have any previous experience.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
It might have the Merkel rods, which are great because they won't become bent. They are heavier though, so yo might feel a difference playing on other tables, but I'd definitely would prefer Merkels on mine. Tables have become harder to find in recent years, so i'd jump on this one. It looks like a Cherry cabinet, which I heard had the slickest surface (never played on one myself), so if you become good on it, you'll find other tables easier to have control. Looks like the balls are gummed up, and so they are more sticky than normal. Just make sure the surface isn't damaged, if so offer a bit less. I haven't heard of this model being warped at all, but don't buy it if it is. One thing to definitely look for when buying a table is the sides of the goals; these look fine in the picture, but if the edges start to get chipped out some, that's something that you really can't fix. Also make sure he gives you the keys.  Good luck and have fun.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:05 AM »
It might have the Merkel rods, which are great because they won't become bent. They are heavier though, so yo might feel a difference playing on other tables, but I'd definitely would prefer Merkels on mine. Tables have become harder to find in recent years, so i'd jump on this one. It looks like a Cherry cabinet, which I heard had the slickest surface (never played on one myself), so if you become good on it, you'll find other tables easier to have control. Looks like the balls are gummed up, and so they are more sticky than normal. Just make sure the surface isn't damaged, if so offer a bit less. I haven't heard of this model being warped at all, but don't buy it if it is. One thing to definitely look for when buying a table is the sides of the goals; these look fine in the picture, but if the edges start to get chipped out some, that's something that you really can't fix. Also make sure he gives you the keys.  Good luck and have fun.

Thank you! Would asking the seller to take any additional pictures from any specific angles help you determine if the edges are chipped, because I have no idea what that means, is there a picture you can refer me to that would show me?

Thank you!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:17:34 PM »
You can see in the bottom picture that the walls on the goal look fine, it's really evident if they are starting to chip, you can check the other goal out when u are there. The interesting part for me is that I always thought the 30th Anniversary versions were a Grey Marble version, which came just after the Cherry ones, maybe they had mixed versions of them. The table surface looks really dirty, when you clean it just use Simply Green or water. If you use stuff like 409 it will leave a film that makes it really slick. Just check the surface out to make sure it's not damaged at all.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:12:13 AM »
Before Buying the This Tornado Foosball Tables, I think You Check reviews of it.