Foosball.com Forums

Inner Rod Lubrication

Inner Rod Lubrication
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:08:13 PM »
How best to lubricate the inner rods on a Rene Pierre with rubber bits at the end? Please for the love of god keep it simple. It's kind of stunning how hard it is to find a simple answer online. Bonzini recommends an oil with teflon on inner and outer rods. Some people say to clean and then lubricate the inner rods with WD40, but other people freak out and say this is bad for the rubber. Some people say clean them and use the silicone stuff. What's the final word?

So I just scored this Rene Pierre for $100. It looked like it had been left outside for a while, but I took it all apart, cleaned it up, got the balls returning properly, removed the outer rust from the rods. But I'm new to this telescoping rod business. I used a spray lithium grease on the inner rods, silicone on the outer, but the inners aren't great.

Re: Inner Rod Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »
Super lube with teflon. Simple.

Re: Inner Rod Lubrication
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 03:17:19 PM »
Definitely a Teflon based lube.
Teflon adheres to metal. So you will eventually have lube riding on lube.
Clean the inside of the outer rod with a brass bristle brush to remove old lube and dirt build up. You can spray a little  "Junk" inside to loosen the build-up. Just make sure you finish with alcohol to remove remaining "Junk" solution. (Bristle Brush) They can be found in the "Gun Cleaning" section of any sporting good store.
You can take a fine grade steel wool to polish and remove any dirt and grime from the inner rod.

Alan