Foosball.com Forums

Table ID and opinion

Table ID and opinion
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:04:41 AM »
Hi, My kids are old enough to start playing, and I'm in the market for a decent table(without breaking the bank).  I found this one for sale, but would like some info and opinions.  Thanks for any help you can provide!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:05:48 AM by quimbypond »

Re: Table ID and opinion
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:06:36 AM »
Says "Classic Sports" on the playing surface.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »
That is not a decent table. If you buy it, your children will be relegated to spinning the rods until they get bored and interested in doing something that's actually fun. Tables like that do not allow for any degree of ball control or any sort of skilled maneuvers. If you want to get the kids interested, spend a few hundred bucks on a real table and you won't regret it. Not to mention that if it doens't get enough use you can resell it for what you bought it for,.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »
Ok, good info.  I was told that the Classic Sport tables, pre-Sportcraft buying them out, were actually decent tables.  This one does have hollow rods and wood handles.  Would it be worth grabbing for parts at $50?? Thanks

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:32:23 PM »
For $50 you could not really go wrong.  I do not know anything about that brand but there is a table with the same name and star marking on sale on Amazon for $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sport-Furniture-Style-Soccer/dp/B000BO63MY/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BO63MY&pd_rd_r=M1M0NJ6VXPWA4X3XXQ47&pd_rd_w=JhoCA&pd_rd_wg=8OaFo&psc=1&refRID=M1M0NJ6VXPWA4X3XXQ47

It might be possible to upgrade the one you have or salvage it for some play.  It seems to have a solid base and playing surface.  The plastic players look like they would be very hard to use, but the table on Amazon has plastic players similar to Tornado.  It all depends on what you want to do with it, but the table itself might not be that bad with new plastic players and maybe some new bearings.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:15:58 PM »
For $50 you could not really go wrong.  I do not know anything about that brand but there is a table with the same name and star marking on sale on Amazon for $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sport-Furniture-Style-Soccer/dp/B000BO63MY/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000BO63MY&pd_rd_r=M1M0NJ6VXPWA4X3XXQ47&pd_rd_w=JhoCA&pd_rd_wg=8OaFo&psc=1&refRID=M1M0NJ6VXPWA4X3XXQ47

It might be possible to upgrade the one you have or salvage it for some play.  It seems to have a solid base and playing surface.  The plastic players look like they would be very hard to use, but the table on Amazon has plastic players similar to Tornado.  It all depends on what you want to do with it, but the table itself might not be that bad with new plastic players and maybe some new bearings.

No offense, but speaking from experience you can't polish a turd. I have owned probably 20-30 tables (mainly Tornados, in fact I have one for sale a few posts down) and this table is truly not worth the gas it would take to go pick it up. The surface, rods, men, bearings, etc just dont work like a tournament table and never will. I hate tables like this because they give people the idea that the only way to play is to spin and randomly whack the ball in the general direction of the goal. It's like shooting a pistol competition with a blunderbuss. No skill involved and not much fun.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:20:30 PM by alaskan thunder »

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
I'm with Thunder, I fell into foosball as a complete noob never touching a table in my life. My future roomate had bought a Tornado whirlwind to ease the boring winter months. Fast forward 15 years, I play in a weekly DYP and make it to a couple of tour stops a year. If this would have been a flimsy box store table I would never have taken it this far. It WILL get in your blood especially if your competitive.

Hope this helps

(Buy Tornado it's the only table to have you won't regret it)

Oh and watch a Tony Spredeman video on ***tube it'll change your whole outlook on the game

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:52 PM »
Hi, My kids are old enough to start playing, and I'm in the market for a decent table(without breaking the bank).  I found this one for sale, but would like some info and opinions.  Thanks for any help you can provide!!

depends on the kids and you. Most won't notice or care. I knew nothing about foosball. I  picked up a $25 used sportcraft table just on a whim since my kids play soccer. I had read all the reasons on here to buy the tornado beforehand , which were good ,etc. Anyways still wasn't sure so went ahead as a trial.

playfield Warped as heck and for sure was easy to tell why looked like a 1/2 or less thick playfield. cleaned and Putzed with it a bit to get ok play, it but i mean me and my 7 year old outgrew it in weeks.

Now key parts is this, if you know nothing, the kid have no interest in learning nothing it won't matter as you won't know any better. Neighborhood kids won't care one bit even if it's cardboard, with rusty rods and warped as heck playfield. friends family likely won't care either or know.

He wouldn't have known , wife wouldn't have known a difference, but he took an interest and it's fun father son time no video games involved and family game night.  He kept wanting to play me , then I showed him vids of how you really play and i'd practice a bit here and there and he started trying to do some passes and shots he'd see and practiced a bit..and I got the drift he was going to get frustrated trying to do what he was seeing and me explaining how it's done (along with me too as the random play wasn't much fun once i started trying to pass,shots,etc).  Once it becomes frustrating due to the tool it won't be fun, so i kept my eye out for a coin op

But it's worth getting a  used cheap one to play with until you realize why they're cheap and just to see. Until then a total newb like myself can't really put it into perspective. Heavy cheap ones are a pita they're not really worth anything, well heavy enough to be a pita to move,  but not heavy /stable enough to not move when people are playing. I just sold the men, handles, small parts on ebay and just cut the table up so i didn't have to bother.

I would buy cheap just to see, heck whatever kids are first just spinning rods around wildly. Then if there's interest you will get your $'s worth buying what the good guys recommend. I would not have wanted to get the coin op and have my kids whaling on the rods lol like they did with the cheapie until they learned a bit.

Crap me and my 8 year old play every day now just about the last year,  can't put a price on that over watching them fart with a nintendo....but not every kid is like that, my daughter will play me, but my son will play me *every* day, 10 times a day, multiple times a day