Foosball.com Forums

push shot????

push shot????
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:28:56 PM »
I have only been playing for about 3 years.  Ive been to a few decent size tourneys.  I play 2 tourn. a week in my area.  I have just started developing a good five bar...so before now, I was always stuck at goalie or when at forward I hardly ever got the ball.  I am starting to get a lot of shot opportunities.   I shoot a close handed push shot and can go long..middle...straight..split(spray and cut).  All pretty effectively.  But still everyone says to switch to a rollover.  Im not sure if I should.  I have been working on both.  But I would like to concentrate on one or the other...  does any one have any advice?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: push shot????
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 06:28:40 PM »
I have only been playing for about 3 years.  Ive been to a few decent size tourneys.  I play 2 tourn. a week in my area.  I have just started developing a good five bar...so before now, I was always stuck at goalie or when at forward I hardly ever got the ball.  I am starting to get a lot of shot opportunities.   I shoot a close handed push shot and can go long..middle...straight..split(spray and cut).  All pretty effectively.  But still everyone says to switch to a rollover.  Im not sure if I should.  I have been working on both.  But I would like to concentrate on one or the other...  does any one have any advice?

See my response here for some related thoughts:
http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=782.0

If you're scoring a high percentage, that's all that matters.  Go with what works.  But there are a bunch of reasons that even people like Tony and Billy who can crack of phenominal push shots choose to shoot the pull or roller in serious competition. On top of what I wrote there, the roller is certainly easier on the arm than the push (or even the pull) if you're going to shoot it for a whole several-day tournament, and it's a bit more choke-proof.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I was in the same position a few years ago. I have since switched to a rollover. I think its more accurate, faster, and theres more lanes to shoot.
Good Luck!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »
Pull Or Snake.....push just cant get the job done.....

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:59:26 PM »
I agree with Chase, push shot is not going to be as effective.

Blake
FVF

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:06:44 PM »
Push shot from goalie, pull from the three row.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:20:41 PM »
Can someone explain in more detail why the push isn't effective? I don't understand how it's different from the pull shot.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 11:03:01 PM »
it has to do with the bend in the bar that you get when you shoot a pull....the longer the rod gets the more power/accuracy you can get......(its a physics thing.....) you cant do it with a push....

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:34:18 AM »
Could that explain why I feel more power at the end of my push shot than I feel at the end of my push shot?

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 01:53:52 PM »
Lets simplfy things. What works, as determined by what shot wins. Pro tournaments have been won by "Set Shot Series" for a long time. The natural game is played continuously as field soccer is. Pro foosball is played more like American style football with set plays executed by the offense within a possession time limit. Build your time of possession and increase your odds of winning. Billy Sumption's "Blue Diamond Theory" of ball possession states that the ball is to be considered more valuable than the Hope Diamond, the most valuable jewel in the world if one is to win. The Theory states three permissilble things to do the ball: #1- Keep it to yourself: #2-(in Doubles) Give to your partner: #3- Put it in the vault(goal). The pro series of shots consists  of various options to the long, middle and short portions of the goal. It is far more important to build time of possession than what play you select. It is more important than anything to have a good approach, to contact the side of the foot to the ball without any gap at all. Sit still and make a read on the D. Execute the appropriate play. Be alert for rebounds. The Sumption School of Foos teaches that one should  learn all the basic pro series' first, then  choose the one that works the best for you. This means a considerable investment of time on shots that you will likely never use to win a tournament. The main benifit is defensive understanding of your opponent which builds your time of possession. Along the way though, you will find your "Big Gun". Maybe it's the push shot from front, it works for a very few Pro players. More likely it's ( in order ) ; #1- pull shot, #2- front pin rollover, #3- pushkick, #4- pullkick, #5- push shot, #6- backpin. Start by trying each of these series' in practice by yourself to gain some experience shooting them.Gradually add them to your playlist in scrimmage and then blast a few when they least expect it in tournament play. Right now I believe the push is most at home from goalie and is the play of choice for me. I murder everyone with topspin slop because the push from back allows me to put the full force of a straight right hand punch that they have to defend or let it in. Remember that foosball is "Handle to Handle Combat" and a full contact sport. My motto is "Skunk three people" no matter who they are.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »
As far as I can remember only one push has won an open title. And that was Johnny Bias. That in itself should say alot. First the arm takes a beating squaring off the long.
But the one nice thing about is timing up the inside game. But that comes at the expence of a long that takes alot of energy to execute.
The fact is, it's just plain easier to pull torwards yourself.
A rollover only goes half the distance to go to the long hole each way. and there is no stress on your wrist or elbow.
I hope this will help you consider the push,for what it is such, a low percentage shot over a big weekend.
Nick

Offline marty

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »
i think at times the push maybe the way to go look at the world cup
i think it was the team from poland that went push side and they went on to win it . what makes me ask is it harder to push on a tornado table you would not think so as you have a bigger goal
to hit. our another thought is the hole your trying to hit is closer to the goalies eye. i youes to shot a push shot with lighting speed 
i would set up to push then bank from there our do a push kick
our pull kick so i had a lot of shots from the push set up . that was
20+ years ago  now i like the front pin shot but now and then i try
a push shot just for old time sake  my 2 cents

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 01:57:59 AM »
In any system, foosball, boxing, chess, poker, politics, etc., whoever has more options eventually wins.  So the key is to add more quality shots to your game. 

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »
In theory a push shot has the exact same options as a pull shot. If you watch a pro master like T Spree shoot his push he can do it as well as many pros shoot a pull. That being said, if he is playing in a big match he will shoot his rollover 99.9% of the time. I too started out as a push shooter but quickly found that it is a much less effective shot that a pull or snake. I would venture to say that this is the result of many people who, for whatever reason, have an easier time blocking a shot that is coming towards them (push) as opposed to one going away from them(pull). Long story shot, shoot whatever you can score at a high rate, but if you plan on seriously being competitive save yourself the hassle and learn the snake.

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 10:45:59 AM »
what he said......practice anything long enough and you can master it and do things most can't but the easier road to learning a kck ass shot is the snake...I wish id never learned the push...the pull and both push and pull kicks are what im learning now...