Foosball.com Forums

7 seconds

7 seconds
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
Bear with me on this. In another sport that I delved in, archery, the aiming time was 7 seconds. Beyond that it was called the "dead zone".  So, critical attention suffered after 7 seconds. This is right from the Olympic coaches. What does that mean to us foosers? We have 15 seconds to set up a shot yet at 7 seconds things go awry according to the experts. How sweet! The eye focus and the mental focus are all out of funk before the 15 seconds rule. How sweet to just set there with a shot in mind and not even moving a BIT before 7 seconds. Just a little help to my Bro's. Kick A-- dudes!!!!

Offline Daniel

Re: 7 seconds
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »
Well how long can you give a good defence I have seen fooser change there defence if you just sit there for a while.  Also I might take a few seconds to setup your shot.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
are any seconds between 1 and 7 better?  what happened if you hit 7 and you didn't feel ready, did you start your prep again?  does the clock start when you start to lift the bow or only after you have it at "archer point"?

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 11:08:21 PM »
Yup, good questions BB. Don't kill the messenger. I'm just reflecting something that is a truism in a critical application that might also apply in foos. Today I practiced on a coin-op in preparation for this weekend when I will finally get to compete in a DYP tourney in Portland, OR. My table is different in play but not that much so I practiced just sitting on a shot for 7 seconds completely still and then executing the shot without telelgraphing. I chose  the 7 second+ because of my archery training. Try staring on something for 7 seconds without losing focus. Bonus if you can. 8, 10, 12 seconds, there has to be a slight lapse somewhere. It's human, not a fault. As an offensive player you have all the time in the world to play on the goalie's mind. In watching the videos of the top players it is quite obvious that the longer the wait the more obvious the shot to take. Go ahead, take apart my assessment,,,,