Foosball.com Forums

An Old Tradition in Turkey: Foosball (Langırt)

An Old Tradition in Turkey: Foosball (Langırt)
« on: November 18, 2009, 06:02:24 AM »
Hi from Turkey,

Foos is a 50 years old sport in Turkey with its own unique style tables (resembling Bonzini) and players. The nation is preparing to rub out some legal obstacles towards the sport and become the real center of European foosball. The game and tables are also in an evolution towards both a fast but control based game. Turkey for sure will become the leading tournament centre of Europe thanks to its sunny beaches, 20 million attracted foosers of all ages, companies in seek of global sponsorships and so on.

By the way, "langırt" is the Turkish word for foos, meaning the sound produced when scored. It is probably the only word for foos not bearing a sign of European soccer or table soccer reference. You may visit our Turkish Foosbal Site: www.langirt.org for more information however you will have to learn Turkish :)

Best Wishes
Turc.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 06:04:00 AM by ters kepçe »

Re: An Old Tradition in Turkey: Foosball (Langırt)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:24:46 AM »
OK,

When's the first event going to be held in Izmir or Kushadasi?
I worked there for about 2 months many years ago in Torbali.
Beautiful country!
Efes and Tubourg beer!
The Turks are very passionate people and fierce competitiors.
Good luck with your progress.

AC

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 12:33:14 PM »
thanks for the compliments Alan. I guess the Americans are in the same manner too.

the soonest event here in İzmir (where I live) will take place within one week as the second day of the universities foosball league of izmir.

we would be pleased to host you if ever again you visit Turkey.

ters kepçe (meaning back pin in Turkish)

ps: yeah, give me your address and ı will send you some efes beer sooner or later.

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 03:50:15 AM »
Turq.

I know a place that really needs a table in Izmir.
Across from the Izmir Hilton are 2 bars, one is call Stavengers and at the other end of the street is a place called Sam's.
Both great locations for foosball. I was there in 1992 or 93 working on a factory installation project.
We went out nightly trying to find some foosball to play.
While EFES is good! I really enjoyed the TUBOURG.
It would be nice to return someday. I loved the food and the culture of the area.

Best of luck

AC

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
sam's is closed (it had good chicken menues though)

stavengers was kind of for nato officers assigned in Turkey; however at the moment nato southeast headquarters is also closed and thus stavengers is not crowded and popular as it was in the gool/old/peaceful cold war days. (Americans (as Alan will confirm) used to be loved so much in especially İzmir in those days, unfortunately the recent politics in northern Iraq changed the atmosphere quite a lot; however do not bother it since individuals and people are always welcome in Turkey, apart from international politics. I mean, we may hate U.S. support to PKK however when you are our "guests" in Turkey you are our friends, feel sure about that  since we are the products of an imperial culture.)

universities are now the centres of Turkish foosball Alan. And the bars&cafes around the universities... Instead of tournaments, people join university leagues that last for about 3-4 months.

All right, TUBORG but TUBORG is an international brand, so I guess you liked the "Turk TUBORG" style which is a beer produced for Turkey only. I will try to be keen on my promise...

Best wishes for American Bonzini Team too.

Ps: Hey wildie, google translation sucks, however yes that seems like an old looking face.

Ps 2: Spredeman is the most appreciated American player here in Turkey for his free style of play and pass to instant tic tac (push/pull kick) combinations. Snake is not popular in Turkey for it is believed that the shot is rough and lacks aesthetics.  Many senior players here play not to win the games but for one single goal. One single goal to rule the brains of all the audience and attract other future players  to the game. One single goal in quality and magic of a poem and which makes the shooter a poet.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:06:44 AM by ters kepçe »