Foosball.com Forums

Fast play and slop

Fast play and slop
« on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
Is Foosball still "where the action is"?  how do you feel regarding fast play(minimal shot set up time) and does slop count in a tournament theses days??

Re: Fast play and slop
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
Does slop count in a tournament theses days and how do you feel about fast play?? (minimal shot set up time)?

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:45 PM »
Of course slop counts the goalie that keeps the most slop out is a better goalie.

Offline Will17

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:34:44 PM »
go watch some videos to see how fast people play these days, usually people take a while to set up a shot.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
Without question, he is a better Goalie.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
I've seen the video's but the question still stands.

Offline Will17

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:49:48 PM »
I feel that the shot with the highest chance of going in is the best shot. so whether it is a quick shot to catch a goalie off guard or a set up shot that is precise and timed well would be dependent on many variables. that said, most of the time i would prefer the set up shot.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
Thank you for your input,  Daniel??

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »
fast play?

it is fun and I would like to see special event or even a tournament which had modified rules to drive a tick tack no set up game

they are a blast to play and more entertaining to watch IMO

I worked with someone creating rules for this style of play...I am not suggesting abandoning the current rules but I challenge you all to try this, it is fun and will help your reflexes and ball pick up skills if nothing else

the base rules in both are the same, here are the changes for the faster style play

8.1.0.     12 second limit per rod
8.1.1.   Stopped Balls 2 or 3 rod:  Balls can not be stopped for more than 2 seconds without shooting, passing, or putting the ball back into play.  The player can restart the clock by putting the ball back into play.  In the meantime the overall 12 second per rod time limit continues.

8.1.2.   Back and front pins are considered two different shots and therefore two different sets.

8.1.3.   Pinned Balls 2 or 3 rod:  A Pinned ball is not considered a “Stopped Ball” until the lateral motion of the pinned ball is stopped for more than 1 (one) second – a pinned ball that is not in lateral motion but is rocking in place is considered stopped.

8.1.4.   Stopped Balls 5 bar:  All 5 bar rules remain the same as standard play except that the ball can not be stopped for more than 2 seconds…see Stopped Balls 2 or 3 rod and Pinned Balls 2 or 3 rod.

8.1.5.   Back Into Play:  To put the ball back into play means moving the ball from one playing figure to another (pinned or inline) or from one pin set to another.

8.1.6.   Penalty:  If the ball is stopped for more than 2 seconds or there is an attempt to advance the ball after the 2 seconds, these are the penalties:

8.1.6.1.   If the ball is scored, the score does not count and the ball goes to the opponent on their 5 man or 2 man rod (their choice). 
            8.1.6.2.   If the ball does not score, the team on defense has the option of continuing play from the current position, continuing play from the point of infraction, or serving the ball at their 5 man or 2 man rod (their choice).
            8.1.6.3.   Continued violations may be grounds for a technical foul.

8.1.7.   No Spinning as defined in the standard rules of play.  {in other words no Rollovers in the fast style play...probably only Tony Spreedman would care anyway}

8.1.7.1.   Definition of Spin for fast play:  No more than 250 degrees spin or revolution of the figure is allowed before or after advancing the ball.  In calculating the 250 degrees, you do not add the degrees spun prior to striking the ball to the degrees spun after striking the ball.

8.1.7.2.   A ball which is struck by an illegal spin is replayed as follows.  If the ball goes in the goal, then it will not be counted as a point and will be put Back Into Play by the opposing goalie.  If the ball does not go in the goal, the opposing team will have the option of continuing play from the current position or putting the ball Back Into Play in their goalie area.

8.1.7.3.   Spinning of a rod which does not advance and/or strike the ball, is not an illegal spin.

8.1.7.4.   If a player's spinning rod hits the ball backwards into his/her own goal, it will count as a goal for the opposing team.  The ball will then be served by the team/player who spun the rod.

8.1.7.5.   Spinning of a rod away from the ball (when there is no possession) is not considered an illegal spin, but may be ruled as a distraction.

8.1.7.6.   If an unmanned rod is spun by the force of a ball hitting a player figure on the rod, the spin will be considered legal (example: a two-man shot in singles hitting the three-man).

Offline Daniel

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 06:21:13 PM »
If you want a fast game then play 2 ball you can't stop the ball for more than 1 sec and you play with 2 balls.  This is a very fast pace game.  This is one of my favorite games but it eats lots of quarters.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »
I posed this question for research, Back in the DAY when you would score very fast on an opponent ( in singles) they would call "SCARF" and want to argue the point.  I'm gettingback into the game full on,  and I appreciate all the responses even you YAGS  :P

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 11:09:16 PM »
I posed this question for research, Back in the DAY when you would score very fast on an opponent ( in singles) they would call "SCARF" and want to argue the point.  I'm gettingback into the game full on,  and I appreciate all the responses even you YAGS  :P 

Quicksetting is usually accepted, even in bar hack play, because it speeds up the game.  It makes it fun!  Especially if correct technique is used in setting up shots and passes, but shooting within 1-3 seconds instead of a leisurely wait.  Mostly scrubs and non-skill players are annihilated by quicksets with good technique.  The need for quick adjustment to the speed of the game has always been an attraction for real foosers.  Those who like to max the wait out in foosball probably do not enjoy the fastbreak in basketball, the steal and suicide squeeze in baseball, the big TD return or TD pass in football or the breakaway score in hockey.  Those people should stick to chess or checkers at the local park, and only those without clocks.  Golf is another better alternative for the speed-and-adjustment challenged.  Poker even.

Letting the world pass one by is one's prerogative, but resenting others' speed in an eye-hand-coordination game is an individual problem and deserves absolutely no consideration.  People who resent a quickset score?  Not even a hack?  How worthless is that person's game?  OMG.

I also completely agree that better goalkeepers minimize the slop, because THAT's PART OF THEIR JOB OR ROLE.  They should just accept it and be ready for it.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:59:47 PM »
2 ball roller ball rules (mostly) but one ball...doubles AND Singles

i have done the 1 ball singles roller ball (my rules) and it is a blast - very demanding...its been too long and now I am itching for it...think I will try and stir that up next time I play for fun

how about 2 ball singles...now that would be entertaining

Offline pinalyzer

• Practice safe foosing & always wear a Knee brace
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »
as a matter of fact I used to play 2 ball singles and it was a great time...I would play against one of the games greats, Bob Gibson, and it really sharpened my singles game.  He was great at it...but I had my times of doing well.
John