Foosball.com Forums

to old to foos

Re: to old to foos
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »
Jin, my last name is Hayes & I live in Wheaton.  The DYPs at Q are 2nd & 4th Fridays. Haven't been lately due to working alot.  FYI: April has 5 Fridays, therefore a BYP (4-30). I'm teamed up with Tony Pyto. I will look forward to meeting you sometime. I've learned alot of what I should be doing in modern foos from my friend Chase (Mindset Foosball). Please let me know if you ever want to play Bonzini.       John

John:

Chase lives in my neck of the woods, really super guy.  I wish he would come out to the DYP's once in a while...

Hopefully we can hook up sometime.  I would love to play on a Bonzini...was thinking about getting one so the kids can putz around on it and not take a rod to the face.

Well I'll be at Q's tomorrow if you should ever make it out...bringing in some newbs from work, which I'm sure will be an eye opening experience for them.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 02:16:04 PM »
Jin,
I'll find you at Q's later. We can talk.  Kids are invited if you think they may want a Bonzini test drive.   John

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
I started to play at 16-17 yrs of age.  But I put myself behind two black balls: I use to play al-volo style (Italian, so passing, no pulling, no pushing style) and I left the game for 20 years.  Then at 37 years of age I 'rediscovered' the game.  For the last three years, I've been relearning how to play - 3-bar, 5-bar passing series, etc.  It's my one true joy (besides my family of course).  It's a way to keep the hopes alive.  I think if you train hard and keep yourself in shape (healthy) there is no reason why you can't train to the pro and even pm level.  Yes, speed is nice to have, but there are other aspects to the game that can compensate for the lack of it.

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »
Thanks guys, but foosball is on a slippery slop if you have read anything from the other boards

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 01:07:57 PM »
MR.STEVE,
Don't worry about foosball, it's here to stay. 

And you think you're too old?  Thefirst thing you have to do is recognize that this is a forward dominated game.  Even the best goalies have days when they can't block anything.

At this year's Runaway Bay tournament, one of the old guys came up to me with pretty much the same story.  He couldn't do anything right and said he was going to quit.  I know exactly what you and he are experiencing.  It's the nature of the beast.

Don't put too much stock in ratings.  Most of the top players in rookie aren't rookies, and it's pretty much the same story in each rank.

I think Ed Geer is right about Warrior being tougher on goalies.  I have a hard time shooting from goal and in their quest to make the game easier, it seems every forward can make outlandish catches.  Now every forward practically lives with the ball.

Knowing your opponent is probably the most important thing when playing goalie.  It's tough to practice blocking at home.  You need to get out and play a lot so you can learn what each players tendencies are.  You can practice your shots and clears at home, but you need to get out in the crowd to learn to block.  If a particular player is giving you problems, watch how other goalies defend against him, then try to incorporate it into your game.

Try to play mistake free.  Clear the ball, grab rebounds and don't get down on yourself when you're not blocking.  And never give up.

Offline HAWAIIFOOSBALL58

• HAWAII FOOSBALL
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »
aloha mr steve and old meister, i am 58 and im about to turn 59 i have been playing foosball for 50 years i started in 1959 in germany baumholder...i just played in the tourny in hilton waiakaloa on the big island of hawaii...i live in hilo on the same island...i use to play in tournament soccer back in the days...i helded the european championship for four years...i use to play with jim wizwell and doug furry from minnesota...i got schooled at hilton...i did place in one event i took third place...i knew i wasnt ready but i thought i would give it a go...i am never going to stop playing because i know i will win something...i have been practicing on my two tables i have downstairs...i have warrior tables i love them tables they are so good better then any other tables i have played on...dont feel bad it just takes time to warm up...just remember you are not going to lose all the time,,,you will win adventurlly...i hope to meet you guys one day and we could play together...in hawaii there is no body to play with other then my kids which they are good...i have be practicing my cobra shot and it is looking really good...i have always loved foosball and i will play as long as i can stand on my two feet and use my hands ...hawaii sends our love to all foosbll players...

aloha your friend
grandpa fooz
bruce silva and kids

oh my kids play foosball also.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:59:57 PM by HAWAIIFOOSBALL58 »

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 09:37:19 AM »
Bruce,

I met a young man that just moved there at the Tornado HOF.  I will try to find his contact info.  Of course there is Mark Askey and Frank Balecha from the Islands as well. 

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2010, 10:28:32 AM »
Don't worry about foosball, it is like a religion to us. As long as there is a table to play on, there will be those of us that will gather in its name and play. We sometimes have as many as 10 or more players come to our local pub to play king-of-the-hill games, and only one or two are tournament players, the rest do it for the sheer fun and love of the game.

Offline HAWAIIFOOSBALL58

• HAWAII FOOSBALL
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 09:09:11 PM »
I am getting ready to have another operation on my ("R") knee again because it got locked in a straight position... I cant bend it at all nor can I straighten it... I dred having to go thru that operation again... I get scared to get put under...you never know if you will make it out and wake up...I will probably be playing in the august tourny..I hope...my kids are getting better everyday and they just about ready for  the tournament in august...

grandpa fooz

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2010, 04:07:39 AM »
I am getting ready to have another operation on my ("R") knee again because it got locked in a straight position... I cant bend it at all nor can I straighten it... I dred having to go thru that operation again... I get scared to get put under...you never know if you will make it out and wake up...I will probably be playing in the august tourny..I hope...my kids are getting better everyday and they just about ready for  the tournament in august...

grandpa fooz

sorry to hear ,hope everything goes well ,have faith ,ill keep you in my prayers ,i wish for a speedy recovery!
-Ben (Texas)

Offline HAWAIIFOOSBALL58

• HAWAII FOOSBALL
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 03:29:51 PM »
I HAVENT MET MARK OR THE OTHER GUY...IT DOESNT MATTER HOW GOOD YOU THINK YOU ARE YOU CAN ALWAYS GET BEAT...EVERYBODY HAS THEIR DAY IN THE LIME LIGHT. JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ARE GOOD, DONT THINK YOU WILL NEVER LOSE...I HAVE LOST TO SOME ROOKIES BEFORE JUST BY PURE LUCK...AND SLOP...WHEN YOU PLAY FOOSBALL JUST HAVE FUN DONT TRY TO ACT ALL BAD AND YOU ARE NEVER TO OLD TO PLAY HAVE FUN