Foosball.com Forums

Proud new owner of a brown marble coin op!

Proud new owner of a brown marble coin op!
« on: August 06, 2020, 12:53:44 AM »
Brown marble coin op.  physically in nice shape minus one good sized chip in the brown marble.  playfield not warped.  based on the metal ful sized feet id say it is a 83-88' model.  drove 5 hrs round trip and hauled it thru some very country roads tonight after work on a 4x6' open trailer.

He wanted $600 firm no budge, new handles new balls.  i noticed on arrival that one side 2 and 3 man rods were bent and badly wobbled, and two others were lesser so on the other side.  He was understanding thankfully and I didn't waste a trip.  $400 take home.  Now to order a new set of rods and might as well replace the split bearings then..
 What do you think about reusing the men?  all in nice shape and two extras included.  funny smiley faces :)

Will attach photos when i can figure out why it wont let me via the phone browser...

Re: Proud new owner of a brown marble coin op!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 02:01:15 AM »
I would swap out the men and roll pins if it was the originals IMO  I would replace the men and roll pins and some may have been replaced already.  Dont see the point with the old as you will need to replace them and pound on the playing surface again. Even with a rod block I hate it.  I have notice rookie foosball owners don't maintain the rods which wears out the bearings.  With new rods  I get new bearings.  AT and Shop Teacher would know best and I would follow their lead and responses. Congrats!

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »
Congrats on the table. Replacing the men is a personal choice. If you are a rookie/beginner (even an amateur), you probably will not notice the difference in the new foot design (sharper corners, larger cross hatching pattern). Rods will be about $40 a piece if they cant be bent back into usable shape. Bearing halves are cheap enough to replace, you should not need new bearing nuts. Id say do what you need to make it play well for now, you can always improve/upgrade later. Play on it a while and reassess.

btw Tookool... you can use the bearing wrench as a rod block or take the rod completely out before pounding pins.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »
Yes, you are right about using the wrench and pulling out the rod.  I cut out blocks from a 2 x 4 as I want a wider coverage underneath the rod.  Just tapping 8 players roll pins in is too much for me! Lol! I love my tables!  Thanks again Shop Teacher, I'm a rookie still and lots to learn. Take care!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:18:44 PM »
I would start by replacing the men on the 3 rods and see if you can tell a difference. Sometimes on a 30+ year old table, the men get "soft" and don't feel right. Play with the old men on the 3 bar then replace them with 3 new men and see if you feel the difference (you likely will). Depending on how dramatic the difference is, replace the rest of the men or not. Also order a few new balls and give it a thorough cleaning. It won't play like a brand new one but for $400 it will play much better than anything else near that price. Congrats!