Foosball.com Forums

which is better?

which is better?
« on: October 27, 2007, 06:49:56 PM »
 lets say you couldnt afford a tornado yet. would you rather have a nice but semi-outdated harvard or a newer and sturdier Classic Sports table with overhead lighting. i have the harvard but could get the Classic Sports table for 100 bucks. its nice but one man is missing the top half of his head.i know that Classic Sports was just bought out by another company so do you think i could still get parts?

Re: which is better?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
honestly i don't know much about the "classic sports" model.... but... if the cabinet on your harvard is pretty solid.. you might try putting a few tornado men on that table.    you'll still have the heavy solid rods (versus the lighter hollow rods of a tornado), but you can get a taste of the tornado ball control and shooting ability.   hmmm... consider upgrading 3 men on your shooting row for starters, then add the nearest 2 men on your 5-bar and perhaps the 2 men on your 2-bar.    you'll nee Men, Roll Pins to attache them... hmmm.... and maybe 1 tornado red foosball or two.

http://shop.foosball.com
http://foosdirect-store.stores.yahoo.net/tornado.html

let us know how it works if you try this!   JimW

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 07:42:17 PM »
thank you sir

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:33:56 PM »
ok sorry didnt have time to post a longer reply earlier. well first off jim, i did end up picking up that classic sport table. i just couldnt pass up the option of having twin-foos in the game room. its nice, white oak, chrome trim, overhead lights, cup holders, side ball return. but its just to new and not broken in like the harvard.(btw can we post pics on here?)i tightened up the cabinet and legs on harvard, put the silicon stuff on the rods, and did end up getting 1 tornado ball and two dynamos. i def like the tornado better. the table  and play improved by at least 65%. but im down to put some tornado dudes on my harvard.i do know that both tables use 5/8'' solid rods. so i guess ill let you know and thanks for the feedback man.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »
Careful. Tornado men are .620" diameter. Solid steel rods with chrome plating are near to .630". They will fit but boy is it TIGHT. Ream 'em out a little first or at least measure acuarately.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 09:54:34 PM »
the classic plays sooo much faster than the harvard. the playing surface is just so dense. out of the dozen er so players i have over,its about split as to who likes which table. is the tornado gonna play fast , slow or just right.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
Everybody's gonna like the Tornado. It is the Standard. It makes a great noise when you blast a shot. The play is what I call "sticky slick", because of the front of the player figures foot. Sometimes it seems real sticky, like you can't get rid of the ball at all, and if you don't WATCH IT the ball and table can seem really slick and you will turn the ball over. It does take some getting used to.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
its kinda funny cause the clssic sport table makes this really cheesy Ka-ching sound when you blast one in. kinda like a cash register would

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »
In the 70's there were tables that made a metallic noise similar to that which you describe. They were called Vulcan. Tornado makes a THWACK kinda like a drum.

Offline marty

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 02:45:49 PM »
the new legand /  spectrum has a metal goal box and makes a cool
tink sound