Foosball.com Forums

DVD `s can they teach you anything

Offline Steve

• Showdown
DVD `s can they teach you anything
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:35 PM »
Are there any really good ones that teach you anything I would like to learn how to get the max power on a pull shot. ???

i

Re: DVD `s can they teach you anything
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:35:08 PM »
You could try the Foosball Mastery DVD, I've heard that it's more of an instructional video than anything that inside foos offers. 

The best way to get better with the pull is to harass the best local pull shooters and glean as much knowledge off of them as you can.  Terry Rue is a personal favorite, he's helped out a few times at HOFC and Worlds and passed on some good insight. 

Cheers

PS
Just make sure that your pull won't hurt you're arm/wrist during a long tournament.  I managed to develop a stress fracture in my wrist after shooting my pull all weekend at the HOFC.

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
Mine a little crisp but I try to do a good stroke since my wrist is not that great Im still rusty so in a year should be good , if I try to hard my shoulder will hurt.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Have you tried to palm it. I keep hearing what you can and can't do but the thing is is that it is an individual issue. Palm shots (open handed) are killer when you have them down. I like the push and have an open handed push that goes off when it wants to, not me deciding, complete subconscious trigger. On a game winner I would trust this shot all the way. With the palm the travel and stroke are unique to you. No two are the same.  This is just a suggestion but in reality it is the foosers' own take that makes it work. 8)

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »
Screw the videos....you want to know how to get more power....make a long stroke about 5,000 to 10,000 times... and count them....keep a peice of paper and keep track!
this will not happen overnight...when your hand and arm gets tired stop....and when u can shoot some more...

Chase

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:35:49 PM »
I agree with Chase for the most part. 

Practice does not make perfect though, it makes permanent!   Get a solid understanding of the mechanics that you are trying to achieve then hammer it a few thousand times to engrain it in your muscle memory.  You'll find that some of your issues will work themselves out with repetitions. 

And yes I do realize that i just contradicted myself... oh well

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
the Mastery series video will not help on this issue at all...it is a very basic presentation on entry level stuff...I love videos and I appreciate all the work that went into them but I couldn't finish watching them

if a person was a total beginner, I would say okay, or if you just collected foosball videos but otherwise it isn't designed to help with this sort of thing

better spend your money on Inside Foosball video that has good pull shooters and study what they do in real life situations...

other than that, if you want technical detailed mechanics information you need to get with top pull shot shooters and ask them...

there are a number of approaches to shooting the pull and more than one that is sucessful...you need to find something that works for you

i am a very very big proponent of repetition for practice but it is correct that repetition makes permanent...I believe you can work through the mechanics if you watch video, ask, study, experiment but if you aren't careful, you could ingrain some bad habits that are hard to break

this doesn't mean don't practice while you are working through this but it means to be deliberate and careful about the time you spend working on a stroke

ICEMAN gave some good pull shot information in another post which I will try and find later

I have some pull shoot information Todd Loffredo has given in the past...I don't think these will address your specific question but there is some real good fundemental information

I think ICE can help with developing power if he reads this post and makes some time to address it

good luck

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
YES they can teach you new techniques.  But I will preface that with you have to be at a certain level to appreciate what your seeing.  There are things that are self evident like game and clock management.  Knowing when to take time and when to speed things up is an experience thing that you can gain from watching big time match video.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:00:21 PM »
i agree, it is hard to get full technique because camara angles aren't all there and it is hard to get real slow motion in playback