Foosball.com Forums

Time reactions

Time reactions
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:34:17 PM »
When you think about the variables that allow a reaction to something you see happening and then compare that to how long a shot takes  you have to wonder what is the best defense. I lean towards a zone defense with baiting and I'm sure that is probably the norm. But there are variables to help with reaction time and they might not always fit the lifestyle of the everyday fooser. While a drink or two might help alieve conscious control it does very little for reaction time and the lack of sleep certainly plays havoc with it. Vitamins and a healthy diet and lifestyle are the best bets but then the competition "lives" where these things aren't the norm. Vitamin B complex is probably the one that helps the most as far as vitamins go and then there is the human factor of practicing to react. I think foosball is a great way to learn the "no time" time reaction. A kempo instructor was touting his ability to teach this and I felt foosball was as good a teacher as you could get. You think about it and you lose. But still the human eye and brain sees around 24 frames a second and then you factor that visual signal going to the brain and a decision being made to react as compared to your opponent patiently waiting for his smoker shot on autopilot, well that is the game in it's most basic form isn't it? Barring mistakes and the ability to confuse(cause your opponent to think), that is the game we are playing. I can't think of a better way to test all of that than Foosball.

Re: Time reactions
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
Thinking about time reactions and the speed of shot execution I got to thinking that a shot could be measured and examined by using a strobe light and camera. If you had accurate control on how fast the strobe flashed it would be possible to count the images in a photo of a shot and then figure the duration or speed of the shot. Has anyone done this before?