Foosball.com Forums

How did you prepare for your first "big" tournament?

How did you prepare for your first "big" tournament?
« on: May 03, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »
How did you prepare for your first "big" tournament (however you define "big")?  Was there anything you wished you had known beforehand?

By the way, my first "big" tournament will be Texas State next month.  I am looking for partners for BD and RD.  If interested, send me a PM.

Offline Steve

• Showdown
Re: How did you prepare for your first "big" tournament?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
5 man In BD & RD it will be a big advantage to have the edge on getting the ball( and dont have a melt down)lol

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 08:39:30 PM »
Make up your mind that you're going to have fun, learn and make new friends while doing something you love. The amount of fun you have will directly relate as to how successful you are as that if you go there expecting to set the foos world on it's ear you are asking too much of yourself. If you go there just wanting to do as good as you usually do then you are going there with a realistic view. Stay within your skills and enjoy,,,

Offline foosinaround69

• No garder snakeshot here, just the AnacondaBackpin
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »
Welll said OM...You must have fun first and foremost!!!!!!You can't realistically go in with high expectations at first...Stay loose Focus and do what you need to do and do it without straying from it and see what comes!!!!You may find that you're just fine and you didn't put all this pressure on yourself....Good luck and again HAVE FUN!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 08:27:06 PM »
I think it has to do with what you want to get out of your first tourny...

-if you want to really try win in say BD/BS then you want to practice a ton and then about a week b4 you leave stop practicing your shot.. and just work on your 5 bar...and only enter in a few events

-if you are a new player and want to learn more about foos and have fun...then still do the practice above but enter every event you can and you will learn a ton!!

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »
i second these comments
 "only play a few events" unless of course your under 18.
"rest your shot at least a week before the tournament"
"5-Bar wins Beginner and rookie events" i would add that blocking slop has an equal impact
"don't have a melt down" make a game plan and stick to it, don't let out your frustrations ingame, don't dwell on errors but reflect on them after the game is over.

if you think someone is cheating you or just doesn't know the rules don't hesitate to call a ref.
study the rules

most of all

have fun
talk to people
have fun
ask pro's and pro-master's questions
have fun

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
It's ok to feel like you got something special going on in your game, we all do or hope we do. So stay with what you know and do and see how it stacks up, play with those little tricks you use. The having "fun" part frees you up to express your game. You don't have to beat Freddy! You don't have to WOW anyone, just test the waters and see how it goes. I expect a full detailed report on your take of the whole thing. Just remember that however skilled your opponent is, you get the chance to do your game against him. Let it go and feel free to have at it! This game is great! Enjoy,,,

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:51:30 PM »
We didnt have email when I played my First tourn , no advice by the old pro`s so take there advice have fun make some new friends play and watch the pro`s when you can.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
watch the top players while you are there and copy what they do...