Foosball.com Forums

Back in after 30 yrs... What does a good playing surface resemble?

Learned in Germany in '71, light play back in US since.  Find it's hard to find decent players in my Los Angeles area, although I have not done an active search. Would like to come up to speed on current thinking on 1 vs 3 goalie tables and what to want from playing surfaces, handles, balls and rods.  Just picked up a Sportscraft 1-goalie table with ramped corners that seems low in the middle... what is critera for a controllable surface?  I am more than willing to bump up to a quality table when I know what one resembles....

Love this game, time to find good equipment and players.

Richard

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: Back in after 30 yrs... What does a good playing surface resemble?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:05:54 AM »
Check out used Tornado Coin-Op's T2000 Grey Marble's on Craigs List or Ebay. If you can find one with Merkel Heat treated rods man that would be the table to get. We play our weekly's on those and they are the best besides the old Brown Marble's which are good too. I am not real impressed with the new 'refridgerator' lots of problems with the goals and lots of players have complained about the quality, I played on the at National Doubles in St. Louis and wasn't impressed. OR you could wait a couple of month's and get a Fireball, 1 man back goalie and unbendable rods. Check out their website they are getting ready to kick off several nation wide tourneys..

Good Luck 

Snake

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Partly there is a need to find some current playing to get next to what good standards are.  In casual sniffing around I have not found organized foosball in the Los Angeles area... any ideas on connecting with players?

Also in our area there is a Cyclone 2 for sale, how would that stack up to the Coin op T2000?

Thanks,

Richard

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 12:57:31 PM »
Richard,

try this site for LA foos information. 

http://lafoosball.com/

There is a contact name and number there.  Edmond, who runs the LA Foosclub is a great guy, and can give you some more information on the goings on in the LA area.

PR

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:59 PM »
Crusader- The Cyclone 2 is the *best* home model table Tornado makes. Advantages 1. Replacement Bearings are the same as T-2000 Coin-Op's 2. It is the heaviest of the home models. 3. The sidewalls are thicker than all other home models. Disadvantages 1. T2000 Coin-Op's are at least 100 lbs. heavier. (weight makes a huge difference) 2. Resale of your table. Most Cyclone 2 tables are overpriced on Ebay or Craigslist by their owners that claim to have payed over $1200 new for their tabes. Thats BS. I don't care what year of Cyclone 2 it is about $350 would be maximum I would pay for a great condition one. I would hold out for a Coin-Op the resale is good and they last a lifetime. I have had several in past years and as long as you practice general maintenance to them they will be solid as a rock. Check Craigs List I find them all over the place especially right now with the economy so bad. Just my 2 cents.

Snake

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:10:33 PM »
Crusader- You were asking about playing surfaces etc. Tornado now day is a power play table, The surface is semi-slick and the ball is heavy with tumbled knap. It provides control (with practice) which you can do Pin Shots, Snakes, Pull Shots, Push and Pull Kicks from a still position. What German tables did you paly on? Deustcher Meister? Or? If it was a ramped 1 goalie tables with a white ball then be prepared for a whole new game. Tornado tables will feel awkward to you at first, the ball does NOT roll around the table unevenly like some of the old white ball tables of the past. Also check out Warrior Tables Soccer, they might be coming to be a thing of the past with their tour diminishing but the tables are real cool and the only other recognized ITSF sanctioned in U.S. right now. The ball is unbelievable tacky almost sticky so control is awesome and it has a single goalie with slight ramps in the corners. I have a Tornado and Warrior both. They both have advantages but the Tornado quality is hands down superior. Hope this helps.

Snake

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »
Snake, great info!  Believe I will pursue a coin op or Warrior. It's been 39 yrs since playing in Germany so don't remember details of table beside white ball, 1 goalie and the main player that could find a hole no matter what I did:(( Intense game, loved it.

r.