Foosball.com Forums

Advice - Buying a new table

Advice - Buying a new table
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have been playing foosbal for about 10 years at a couple of local spots but have never owned my own table. I'm now looking to buy one and am accustomed to playing on FABI coin op tables. I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I'm wondering if I should just buy the FABI home version which I can get here in Ontario for around $700 new, or would I be just as happy with something like a Roberto Sport Home or College version for $400 to $500?

Thanks for any input,
Kyle

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
Re: Advice - Buying a new table
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:38 AM »
Kyle,

The Roberto Sport Home or College Version will play similar, but will feel pretty light compared to the Fabi.

The Fabi home table weighs about 200 pounds, the Roberto sport college table weighs in at about 115-120 pounds.  That 80 plus pound weight difference will definitely be noticable during play. 

Also, I think the Fabi home model seems to be a little sturdier than the RS College/home models. 

Just some observations.

Pat

Offline JnK

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
there are many tables out here in ontario that will have a similar feel to fabi tables, 1 is the fas table, the men are similar to a fabi table, but bigger springs like a garlando table, and alot smaller octagular grips smaller than a fabi table,

garlando tables also have similar feel to a fabi table, there are 2 versions, the red white and blue, and the eurogarlando,

the red white and blue they play down in mtl, but the scene has died quite abit, u also see the red white and blue down in the uk, if u look hard enuff

the euro garlando, is a better build red white and blue, last time i heard the asking price was about 2200, its probably changed now since that was over 5 to 8 years ago,

now the roberto sport table, its a fairly similar table the men are pretty much the same size as a garlado,
the handles are similar to a fabi table, btw this is both the old roberto sport home and coin op, its not used to much in italy to much since they made the world roberto sport table

the world roberto sport table is probably the best table of all european style tables, it gives u the same feel as a fabi, the nets about the same size as a garlando, the men are slightly different made easier for u to pin,  the handles are like old bmx handles u get some awesome grip no more, grip needed to wrap the handles,

and heres the biggest and best factor about the world roberto sport table, btw this is all coin op ;) the glass flips, so u can have 1 surface for fastball and 1 surface for slowball,

the table actualy came to ontario, but was promoted poorly, fabi had to big of a following, plus foosball started to diminish in size, i dont think u can find this table anywhere... last time i saw 1 was last year in hamilton... i dont know if they still have it.. tbh

but if i had to choose between this table and fabi, i would take the world roberto sport table :) hands down

u can learn alot more on this table than u could on a fabi table

Offline JnK

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have been playing foosbal for about 10 years at a couple of local spots but have never owned my own table. I'm now looking to buy one and am accustomed to playing on FABI coin op tables. I just want to make sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I'm wondering if I should just buy the FABI home version which I can get here in Ontario for around $700 new, or would I be just as happy with something like a Roberto Sport Home or College version for $400 to $500?

Thanks for any input,
Kyle
btw kyle, if you are paying 700 dollars for a home version fabi, you are paying to much,
alot of places tend to sell there coin-op fabi tables roughly for that price, even if they are used,

the home version 6 yeras ago costed 600 canadian, it was lighter, not as durable, was like a home verson garlando, u could almost pick the tables up with 2 rods...LOL

actualy only when i play LMFAO... but 700 canadian is to much for a home version fabi, just try looking for a used coin op fabi, if you are dedicated to fabi,  but

if u realy wanted to learn the game properly, id say buy a tornado ;)  everything u learn o tornado can be applied to every table in the world,

after u make the adjustment that is ;)

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 09:07:23 AM »
Thanks alot for your quick and detailed replies. This does help a great deal. The problem with a Tornado table for me is that I don't plan on playing any tables with the 3 man golie rod. Plus the adjustment of playing both these styles of tables is pretty signifigant.  Also,  the lighter weight of the Roberto tables is definitely a huge problem as I tend to lift coin op tables from time to time. It looks like the Garlando tables are similar to the FABI, but I might as well stick with what I know and just buy a FABI. A used coin op table would be perfect as it would be nicely broken in and have the weight I'm looking for. Thanks again for all the help.

Offline JnK

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
ummm, the world roberto sport table is probably as heavy as the fabi table maybe just alil bit heavier, all the old school roberto tables were all lighter ...  even the home version fabi is lighter than the coin op,

the world roberto sport table, is probably the best table of all the tables, why its the italian table of choice, dont get urself confused with the college version or the home version,

those ones are not the world roberto sport table,  heres a picture of the champion edition table
http://www.robertosport.com.au/tables_champion.php

btw this table is also saction by the itsf as a world table, while fabi is not ;)  
just my advice is, u should always practice on a world type table,

dont get me wrong i love fabi, as its the table i learned on, but it has its limitations, with the world champion edition roberto sport... u can learn with out any limitations, with fabi there are many limitations..

anyways check it out,  fyi the only reason tornado has 3 goalies is b/c there are no ramps,  the other 2 players pretty much useless  only for grabing the ball out of the corners b/c they would get stuck ;)

oh btw, every table has adjustment to it, whether its fabi, with no deadbar smallest net of every table in the world, to garlando smaller men to bigger net,bigger springs,  deadbar, to roberto sport slightly bigger men similar size net as garlando, better grip deadbar... and so on and so on

i hope this gives u a better understand, what im am saying...  after u read this if u still want a fabi, my best guess is to goto a college or university, try to bargain with them in buying one...  its pretty hard to find a fabi table tbh unless maybe u buy one from team play,  or  a vendor

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:02:56 PM by JnK »