Foosball.com Forums

First time playing competitively - MN Foos'ers?

First time playing competitively - MN Foos'ers?
« on: January 22, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
Hey everyone,

I got some of my friends into foos when I bought my table but their interest has dwindled. I know of a couple weekly DYP tournaments around town and would love to get some experience playing with people who actually know the game (I've got basics down, but when I play against experienced players I still tend to get owned).

Generally speaking, what are some of the tournament rules at a local bar? Am I expected to follow the same rules I see in the State and National tournaments online?

How do you think the experienced foos'ers will feel about a new guy with very little competitive experience jumping into a tournament? I'm afraid my skill level will be very low compared to these guys who play every week and have for years. Does that even matter?

Any tips on getting in good with the local scene and maybe getting a couple of them to give me some tips or hints along the way? I'm more in it for the fun than to win any money, but of course I'd love to win too!

Re: First time playing competitively - MN Foos'ers?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
Jump in and play, just remember, they had to have started at one time or another. As far as the talent goes, the better they are the better you'll get...Good luck and I'd say go for it.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Like the previous poster said, you have to start somewhere. The sooner you start playing tournaments, the better. Otherwise you may develop bad habits that are hard to break. I suggest going up to the tournament early and finding someone that is practicing alone. Ask them some questions and have them show you a few things before a bunch of people show up. IME most experienced players are more than willing to give out pointers.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

Any tips on getting in good with the local scene and maybe getting a couple of them to give me some tips or hints along the way?

For tips and advice, all you need to do is ask. The regulars are overall a pretty good group of people and are generally friendly. To get some non-pressure table time, hit Mort's (Lyndale and Franklin/Mpls) on Friday nights. Go to the weekly tournaments and play when you feel comfortable... you can also learn a lot just by watching.

Oh, and don't be a dique. :)

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »
Swung by Mort's in Minneapolis to check it out. I had played there with friends during happy hours but not on a busy night with the locals there. This is the local foosball bar where they have weekly DYP tourneys and regular pick up games on other nights.

Is there a foosball community rule or something that says not to embarass the new guys? My buddy and I played doubles against a couple guys that could have clearly stomped us but instead played to our level to keep it close all 3 games. A couple times one did a quick put back on my partner's attempt to clear so I could tell they were better than they let on. They didn't even ask to bet or try to play another series, they even let me win a game with my poor front pin shots.

Another guy let me win two games against him and he could have totally crushed me - had a wicked bank shot to clear and I couldn't even see it go in. He seemed to give me possesion of the ball a few times too.

I almost rather get crushed than have people play down against me. What's up with that? Maybe they just want more people to come back and play with them? And what's it going to take on my end to play on their level

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:56:04 PM »
Swung by Mort's in Minneapolis to check it out. I had played there with friends during happy hours but not on a busy night with the locals there. This is the local foosball bar where they have weekly DYP tourneys and regular pick up games on other nights.

Is there a foosball community rule or something that says not to embarass the new guys? My buddy and I played doubles against a couple guys that could have clearly stomped us but instead played to our level to keep it close all 3 games. A couple times one did a quick put back on my partner's attempt to clear so I could tell they were better than they let on. They didn't even ask to bet or try to play another series, they even let me win a game with my poor front pin shots.

Another guy let me win two games against him and he could have totally crushed me - had a wicked bank shot to clear and I couldn't even see it go in. He seemed to give me possesion of the ball a few times too.

I almost rather get crushed than have people play down against me. What's up with that? Maybe they just want more people to come back and play with them? And what's it going to take on my end to play on their level

Now you know how they feel -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1Zhm01EIE ;)
I don't think it's unwritten rule but I have seen very few jerks (only 2 so far). Usually the better the player - the nicer he is. And yes, nobody is crushing the newbies :) that's why I go to the bar time and time again.