Foosball.com Forums

Table materials for my build.

Table materials for my build.
« on: August 05, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
I haven't started with hardware yet, but I have made some plans on the "box" and surface for my table.
First, I plan on using solid rock Maple "butcherblocked" for the box.  Rock maple won't dent and when it's butcherblocked it is very stable.  Plus it adds plenty of weight and sturdyness.   Thoughts??
Secondly, I thought about using a stone surface like slate, or a granite/marble for the surface.  Whadya think??

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Table materials for my build.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:14 PM »
As a custom table, I suppose you can use any materials you want.  But if you're wanting to emulate one of the more popular tables, you'll be better served using pretty much the same materials they use.  No harm in experimenting.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
Go for it. Are you going to use 1 1/2 inch butcherblock for the whole thing or do an outer cabinet, inner playfield type design? Either way with the materials you are talking about the cabinet will be very heavy. Plan for superstrong legs accordingly.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
Go for it. Are you going to use 1 1/2 inch butcherblock for the whole thing or do an outer cabinet, inner playfield type design? Either way with the materials you are talking about the cabinet will be very heavy. Plan for superstrong legs accordingly.
I'm using the rock maple as the inner and outer surface.  Solid.
I plan on using solid rock maple legs 6" x 6".
 It should play very fast!!  Something different for my buddies that always play on Tornados. 

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »
I often wondered  if anyone thought about using slate for a playfield.you wouldn't have to worry about it being too light thats for sure, but what would you cover it with?

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
I'm not gonna cover it.  I'm going to seal it with a high quality tile sealer.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:43 PM »
I went to the stone place one time to ask about granite or green marble to use as a playfield...I'm pretty sure it was doable.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
I have a 1" slab of slate from an old pool table......It has the perfect texture, I think.  It's smooth but not polished like countertop granite.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 05:21:01 AM »
Here are two tables that I built. One is fingerjointed rubberwood, bought in 4x8 sheets, but looks like butcherblock. I made a math mistake when cutting the materials so this one didn't become a foosball table. It's a ball hockey table.

This one I made out of plywood pre-lainated with mahohany. I used plywood with laminate balancing both sides for the inner walls, and resin board, or phenolic board glued to plywood for the goal walls. Using phenolic board for the goal walls is an innovation from Fireball. They shouldn't ever chip. I have different color foosmen on there to see how they looked. Steel legs, but I should have used bigger material, it is wobbly.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:22:06 AM by foosnewbie »