Foosball.com Forums

ok to put a foosball table on (short) carpet?

ok to put a foosball table on (short) carpet?
« on: December 01, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »
Quick question:   I used to play and am looking forward to getting my kids playing.  I am planning on getting a Garlando G-500, but just realized that we'll be putting it in a basement that has (relatively short) carpeting.  Issues?  Suggestions (re carpet or table)?  Thanks so much!

Re: ok to put a foosball table on (short) carpet?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:12:57 AM »
Many tournaments are held at hotels on industrial carpet.  I would think it totally ok, especially at home amongst friends and family... Narrower feet are likely better as they will compress the footprint better; you might have to let the table settle-in for some time and then level the table-playfield.   If your carpet is really mushy...well you might have minor wandering issues with light jarring, leaning, and heated play.

The only drawback I can guess at would be if the kids figure they can lean on the rods to control ball.  Their small degree of ball control will vary depending on the pile / underlay thickness as well as pressure applied; but when used skillfully can tip a close game and/or lead to arguements...    I would expose the trick quickly with your kids and remove it from their foosball vocabulary.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:01 AM »
http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

I think carpet is ok to play on. On the plus side the table is less likely to slide around. I think adding as much weight as possible to the table will help. Depending on the foot of the table, optimal flooring conditions are probably similar in table tennis. It seems like those players rate flooring best to worst as such:
1. specialty sport court flooring (Gerflex, etc...)-very pricey
2. wood
3. vinyl or linoleum
4. tile
5. carpet
It seems like the foot on the tornado tables are good for carpet. Instead of a flat bottom, there are braces which grab the carpet, not letting it slide. If I were putting one on something other than carpet, I would think it would need a flat rubbery foot bottom or pad.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Appreciate the responses -- thanks!