Foosball.com Forums

Playing surface upgrade?

Playing surface upgrade?
« on: December 01, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
I have a Halex Galaxy table which seems pretty low budget.  The playing surface is only 1/4" particle board which is flexy & warped.  I was considering beefing it up by gluing it onto some 1/2" MDF and sandwiching it with clear Plexiglas on top for the actual playing surface.  (I read somewhere on here that Plexiglas roughed up with 60 grit sandpaper made for a good playing surface).  Is this a good idea or is there a better way to salvage this table?  I'm not sure what adhesive to use for the Plexiglas top either.
Thanks!

Re: Playing surface upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
Going to try this today.  If anyone has any advice, feel free.

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
You are probably going the wrong way with this table...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM

Most players will tell you to buy a slighly better table, with a thicker formica type playfield, any shelti, tornado, fireball will do but there are others that may be fine for recreational use in the used $200 range. TS Warrior dynamo might craiglist for you.

IF you are adament I offer you these suggestions:

- contact cement / glue and somehow press together your exising playfield level with a layer of 1" mdf, this sort of worked ok for a friend of mine but the result was not perfect to say the least.  Your plexiglass idea will not last and may mess up your toe height and pin/release positions unless you are careful to maintain that critical gap measurement.

-probably the best and easiest would be to buy some home depot dark coloured prefab countertop and use the old playfield to help them custom cut for fitment to your table...or  buy 1"mdf and install green formica yourself in your workshop with all your expensive tools.  You will lose the playfield lines but you get a great result for recreational use.  I think a black or graphite patterned playfield would be awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDIjqCP6HY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bmx2tVWQiE

- buy a used tornado playfield and trim/adapt it to fit (best solution but a waste of $ as a better used table will cost less)

Shameless Promotion:
Vancouver Foosball - Vancity Foosball
http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Foosball

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »
- contact cement / glue and somehow press together your exising playfield level with a layer of 1" mdf, this sort of worked ok for a friend of mine but the result was not perfect to say the least.  Your plexiglass idea will not last and may mess up your toe height and pin/release positions unless you are careful to maintain that critical gap measurement.

-probably the best and easiest would be to buy some home depot dark coloured prefab countertop and use the old playfield to help them custom cut for fitment to your table...or  buy 1"mdf and install green formica yourself in your workshop with all your expensive tools.  You will lose the playfield lines but you get a great result for recreational use.  I think a black or graphite patterned playfield would be awesome.

Shameless Promotion:
Vancouver Foosball - Vancity Foosball
http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Foosball

Wouldn't formica be way too slippery?  Why won't the plexiglas last?  I would cut it the exact fit (with my fancy tools) and it would sit at the exact height of the original playing surface which would be visible underneath with it's fancy lines, etc.  I was thinking of just sandwiching it together and not actually gluing the plexiglas since that might look bad because of the glue.  It would be held tightly in place from the layers below being screwed in to it.  Getting wood tomorrow now.

I'm basically trying to make this crappy table better and yes, I agree that a better quality one is the best solution.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
Laminates such as formica and arbourite for countertops come in various textures and durability specifications.  I can't say for certain, but my experience with plexiglass suggests it is a hard acrilyic material prone to scratching and cracking.  Will it work, from what you have described...yes, if you do it right and you supporting material (playfield is not too warped).  I just think the result is not worth the effort.   Used low end tables are a dime a dozen... often free...

After reading your comments I found something interesting on youtube.  Might be worth you checking out and reading the comments... torNawdoe clawne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CSHnek8l3I

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »
I agree with hackjob. I was the guy that was originally gonna do the whole plexiglass thing but after hackjob said it wasn't worth it and my dad and brother had the same opinion I decided not to go that way with it. I ended up finding a piece of 1/2 inch plywood in the garage that was almost the exact size I needed. So I made the necessary cuts and then sanded it. Started off with 50 grit then went to 100 and it was pretty smooth. So then I stained it and and spray painted some lines on it. And then I put polyurethane on it. This morning I put the third coat of polyurethane on the table and it seems pretty nice. One more coat and it should be done. It seems as though it will roll pretty true. I can't wait to try it out probably late tonight or tomorrow. Just an idea for a very cheap fix.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies and links.

I ended up gluing MDF to the back of the  original 1/4" playing surface which was in good shape but too thin.  I spread wood glue over the entire thing and then pressed another piece of MDF over it while it dried with 200 pounds of weight on it.  It dried so flat that I decided to not do the prexiglas layer on top.  (plus I didn't want to sink any more money into a crap table).  I roughed up the surface with a scotchbrite pad and it is night and day better.  The whole table is solid and the ball rolls true now.  It even sounds proper. 

I'm just borrowing this table and when I get one for myself, I'll know what to look for.  Cheers.