Foosball.com Forums

Coin Op Nightmare

Coin Op Nightmare
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:10:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just bought a T2000 Coin Op for $300.  As far as I can see, it is in great condition.........what I can't see is the inside of the table.  The previous owner lost the key to it and the coin operator doesn't work when I put the two quarters in.  He tried to drill through the two keyholes, but no luck. The previous owner told me this up front, but I think $300 is a steal for this table.  My questions are:  1.  Do all of these tables have a universal key....would it be worth borrowing a key from a friend who has the same table in his bar and trying it out on my table.  2.  Should I continue to try to drill the locks out to get inside?  3.  Can I take off the hinges on the other side of the table and get to it that way?  At present, I have the holes stuffed with shirts so I won't lose the balls......but that's not any fun.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Coin Op Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
i'll pass this post on to jim, he may know. :)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:36:22 PM »
Thanks Art,

I have two more questions, I said it was a Tour Edition Coin Op......but I'm still a little hazy on the difference between an old Cylcone (brown marble) and the Tour Edition (brown Marble Coin Op), is it simply the coin operation? 

And two of the rods have some rust.....will fine steel wool damage the rod?  What is the best way to remove the rust and keep the integrity of the rod?

Thanks,

Jay

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:03:07 PM »
jim would know better than I would about this stuff. I'm sure he'll be checking email later today.

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »
Hey Jay...

The Tournament Edition "coin op tables" have the 2 piece cabinet with the hinged tops and the locks you are fighting with... The Cyclone is a 1 piece cabinet.

There have been 3 versions of the cabinet keys in recent years.....  221, 9001, 9094....
There is an 80% chance that a #221 key will fit the locks on your "Brown Marble laminate Tornado Coin op table.... that is if the drilling attempt didn't mess them up.

On the rods.... you can try what you suggested to remove some rust.. and smooth out the surface to help the "play" of a rod.. but you'll only be able to so so much with them....

I have some "pretty good rods" (no rust & straight) from old batches or old table refurbishing that I may be able to help you with... new rods are $35'ish.....

BUT don't forget the bearing... the "bearing or bushing halves" is a big piece of the smooth playing peformance puzzle.... the Rod "glides" on relatively small bit of surface area of the bushings.... Chances are.. if you've been pushing "pitted/rusted" rods through there that those things are SHOT...  in that they don't have that shiny slick surface.. but instead a "scratched/gouged/sanded off surface" that will slow down the current rods... and even new rods as well...

So if you save up for new rods.. you'll want to consider the bearing halves as well.

Hmmm... hope this helps... happy foosing... Jim

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:45:41 PM »
Jim,

Thank You So Much,

I borrowed a key from my friend who owns a table but as I recall the number was 9094......so that narrows it down providing that the locks are still "keyable".  I will order 221 key and go from there.

Jay