Foosball.com Forums

Push shot

Push shot
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
Why dont people shoot the push shot?

Re: Push shot
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
I've heard everything from its easier to block and the pull is a more natural motion.  I do have to say I've seen a push shot or two that were very impressive, but I've rarely seen it in competition.  I havent been competing too long, but get a sense its that way.

Offline Rios

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
it is a harder shot to hit all of the options (straight, middle, long, dead-bar)... I personally think that it is easier to race as well.  Alot of people that hit it, have a tell before they take off.

better off shooting a pull or a snake...

ANyone know who and when the last person to win a major title using a push shot???

Thomas Rios

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 04:50:19 PM »
I will speak for myself...because it is harder to execute, and easier for the defender to race. Just my opinion!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:02:28 PM »
Rios has no idea what he is talking about LOL!!!!  JK JK! No, Rios is completely correct....i dont know anyone that has a world title shooting that shot......(tony has a sick one) but he didnt win his title shooting it....

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 05:46:10 PM »
There are no title holders that have used a standard set push shot in open at tour events that I know of. Chris Ficek did win Goalie War in North Carolina about 20 years ago at a Tornado Tour event using a push shot. He beat Todd who used a pull shot.
Oly

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 09:52:06 PM »
For me, It's easier to shoot a Push straight, short push split/spray/brush when compared to the straight or short pull as you have a better view of the hole and more natural movement on this side of the hole. But the Long Push is a much harder & different shot than the long pull to control/master. Because the short game is much easier when shooting the push series, it allows you to not have to go as long and fast when shooting the long push, as you are able to keep the defense tighter. However because it requires you to open up the grip a little more to gain "follow through speed" to shoot a more square longer push, you can give away a few more tells and increase the risk of misexecution. Finally, since the Long Pull opens up the short pull game more "than the short Push opens up the long push game", it seems the pull is preferred over the push, as the Known ability for shooting the Long Pull is awesome for opening up shooting holes. my 2cents

Quote from: Rios link=topic=1140.msg3581#msg3581 date=1183483784..
Why dont people shoot the push shot? ..
it is a harder shot to hit all of the options (straight, middle, long, dead-bar
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:54:12 PM by Gstillwellar »

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 06:02:57 AM »
ANyone know who and when the last person to win a major title using a push shot???

Steve "killer" Miller and Steve Murray 1986 National Champs

Miller had a good push shot

Offline TRWeiss1

• Tornado Storm II
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
I agree that it's easier to race, but I can actually hit a much faster/controlled push shot than I can a pull. For some reason, I have trouble straightening out my pull shot. However, as the one executing the shot, I can race the ball a lot better (and shoot it straighter) with a push shot. :)

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »
Mark Synder won a Tornado National Championship shooting a push.  Killer Miller was playing goalie for Murray in '86.  Tony Turner won a Texas and a Oklahoma State Championship shooting a push as well.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 12:21:26 AM »
Matt Keezer from Montreal, Canada has the best push that i have ever seen He won Rookie Doubles shooting it at Texas State. He beat Robert mares in Open Single at Texas State. Its just to bad he doesnt have a great 5 bar. cause his 3 bar shoots about 80% on perty much any defender that i have seen him play against. Its trully killer but its also the fact that no one ever gets to practice against it. He shoots it Open handed but its a really quick snap it looks close hand, kind of like Freds Euro pin.

Offline foosinaround69

• No garder snakeshot here, just the AnacondaBackpin
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »
Actually I shoot a backpin push shot that is quite accurate Now!! I can hit it at dead bar as well. However I can tell you it takes many years to get it that way. Just setting it up and shooting though is very hard to shoot accurately and easy to block....not always... In my opinion it is because you can react to the push and see where it is going as opposed to the pull or any other shot for that matter.

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »
 I personally have switched from a push to a snake.  I think that my push was pretty versiatile.  I can shoot it long, stright, cut back, middle.  It worked for quite a while and still does occasionally.  But if I try to shoot it for a whole tourny I get fatigued. Squaring it off gets hard to do.  Oh, and a side note,  Rios is just pissed cause he can't shoot a push!

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »
Its just to bad he doesnt have a great 5 bar. cause his 3 bar shoots about 80% on perty much any defender that i have seen him play against.

No one, even the top PM's make 4 out of every 5 shots, every match they are in.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 04:44:50 PM »
I agree, "Old Sweater", nobody shoots 80% for very long. One reason is defenses adapt over time. Funny how a player with a great five row sometimes shoots a little lower percentage on the three and a player with a weak five seems to shoot higher percentages on the three row. If you look at the overall percentages of winning forward's three row it will likely be about the same as a pro quarterback's passing percentage, 50%-70% overall. Sometimes in a hot streak, a player will hit 80%-100% but with each attempt the "D" will adapt and improve and gradually lower a shooter's production. I encourage players or thier coaches to keep statistics and see if what I say holds true over an entire tournament.  My overall strategy is to be above 50% on the three row and for five row passing completions and hold the opposition below 50%.